UPnP Router problem RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry folks, but next stupid question from a noob!

I've just tried to change settings on the Console to allow Remote Access.

When I click the set-up button on the Router section, I get a dialog box telling me my router does not support UPnP and cannot be configured manually. I checked my Router,  and UPnP was disabled, it had an option to enable UPnP, so I selected that - no difference. I then re-booted everything (including the router). Still no luck

I went to the help files and read various pages including one about an MS Evaluation Tool. I ran that and my router passed all tests. Here's the extract from the UPnP section

The operating system is Windows Vista
    The firewall is enabled
    Exceptions are allowed by the firewall
    UPnP is enabled by the firewall
    UPnP services are running
    UPnP Discovery is enabled
    Detecting Internet Gateway Devices on the network
    1 IGD(s) found
    IGD Device Information:
    Manufacturer Name : Belkin
    Model Name : Belkin_IGD
    Model Number : 3.12.10.1.27
    107 existing port mappings were found:

At the end it said

There are enough port mappings on the IGD and the test is considered passed.

I still cannot connect automatically as WHS console still says my Router does not support UPnP. I'm not happy playing with port forwarding as I really do not understand it, so I'm hoping there's a solution or at least detail instructions for my Belkin Router somewhere out there! As a last resort obviously I'll ahve to have a look at doing it manually, but I'd prefer not to.

I also spotted a suggestion about router firmware, so I checked that and I'm already on the latest version from Belkin.

Sorry to go on, but I'm trying to give as much info as possible. Hope someone can help.

Colin

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi.. to make changes to you router, you will have to do it manually.  In the manual of MHS it will tell you which ports needs to be fwd to yoru server.

Sorry I am at work and I am unable to point you in the right direction other than that.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:01 PM
  • If WHS cannot, or will not configure your router, you'll have to do it manually.

You need for foward port 80 (optional), 443 and 4125 for TCP/IP traffic.  Port 80 is optional, since you can always use https://<yourserveraddress> to access your machine.  Once you click the Logon button on the landing page, you'll go HTTPS anyway.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi.. to make changes to you router, you will have to do it manually.  In the manual of MHS it will tell you which ports needs to be fwd to yoru server.

Sorry I am at work and I am unable to point you in the right direction other than that.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:01 PM
  • If WHS cannot, or will not configure your router, you'll have to do it manually.

You need for foward port 80 (optional), 443 and 4125 for TCP/IP traffic.  Port 80 is optional, since you can always use https://<yourserveraddress> to access your machine.  Once you click the Logon button on the landing page, you'll go HTTPS anyway.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:58 PM
  • I suppose I expected that answer really.

OK I'll have a go tomorrow when I have time.

Thanks anyway

Colin

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:11 PM