none
In Depth Details on Sync process order RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an article about the details of Database Sync 2.1 synchronization process. I'd like to read about the detailed process of synchronization. For example the order of sync data (server first/local db first?). Also how the sync stored procedures are called to select data from each environment (how bulk stored procedures are used instead of individual insert/update stored procedures).

Also I'd like to see information about data collisions, conflicts, and conflict resolution for Sync 2.1. Maybe some examples also.

Any information on this would be great.

Thanks, Jason

This is a great forum and I know you all won't let me down. :)

Wired4This
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• sounds like you're looking for someone to summarize for you what's in the documentation :)

let me answer some:

order of sync for bidirectional = upload from local then download from remote if using sqlceclientsyncprovider/dbserversyncprovider/syncagent,  if using sqlcesyncprovider/sqlsyncprovider, it follows the sync direction you specify: UploadAndDownload - local upload the remote download, DownloadAndUpload - remote download then local upload

bulk procedures - determined by the SetUseBulkProceduresDefault setting during provisioning, if not set and using Sql Server 2008 or Azure, it will default to using bulk procedures, lower versions will default to individual row insert/update

conflict resolution - check the documentation

also, this may be an old link but has a good explanation of what goes behind: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mahjayar/archive/2008/06/25/getting-started-with-dbsyncprovider-peer-to-peer-synchronization.aspx

if you really want to understand what goes behind, enable Sync Framework tracing, that should give you a detailed step by step log of what goes behind.

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:44 AM