P2P Sync Not Working, With Live Desktop Active Yes, But Slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Title says it all really. A couple of us have had an increadibly frustrating time trying to figure out what is wrong here. If Live Desktop is active syncing occurs, albeit painfully slowly...why is it soooo slow. Foldershare seems to be almost instantaneous in starting a sync...

With no Live Desktop sync, only place holders are seen. Absolutely no syncing occurrs, not even after days...

I'd love to switch over to this from foldershare as there are some great features, unfortunately it simply does not work for us...

Regards

Billy.
    • Changed type Ben [Live Mesh] Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:46 PM Possible Answer
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:05 PM

Answers

• I think that one of the more popular feature requests seems to revolve around more fine grained tools for defining how quickly and how often Live Mesh initiates a sync - you could add your vote to the Suggestions Sticky!
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:34 PM

All replies

• warrumungi said:

Title says it all really. A couple of us have had an increadibly frustrating time trying to figure out what is wrong here. If Live Desktop is active syncing occurs, albeit painfully slowly...why is it soooo slow. Foldershare seems to be almost instantaneous in starting a sync...

Do you mean slow to start or slow to actually sync? I've seen excellent sync speeds but files that only start syncing after 10-20 minutes. I believe this has to do with the code waiting for you to finalise changes so that it isn't constantly syncing a file that is being saved to multiple times in a short period.

warrumungi said:

With no Live Desktop sync, only place holders are seen. Absolutely no syncing occurrs, not even after days...

I'm not sure what affect, if any, a firewall can have on the P2P capabilities of Mesh, but do you have anything specific sitting between your machine and the other mesh machines? And of course, just making sure you're not on a Mac (P2P isn't currently supported on Macs).

I'd open a bug for this. according to the info on the main forum page by, collecting your logs and sending them to lmprev@microsoft.com.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Good Luck!
    • Proposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

First, a quick "Thank you!" to nachmore for all the help you've been providing on these forums the past few weeks.  We really appreciate it - this is what building a community is all about!

Billy: It sounds (assuming you're not trying to sync to a Mac, as nachmore mentions) that you have hit a P2P sync bug.  We will be able to say for sure if we can take a look at your logs, as nachmore suggests.  Please feel free to collect logs from each computer where sync is failing to occur and either send them to lmprev@microsoft.com (please include your forum handle and the title of this forum thread in the body of your email), or opening a bug through Connect (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums).

As for the speed with which files are syncing: there are a lot of factors that can affect this, of course, but improving performance is something we are constantly working on.

Thanks for helping us test Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Hi

Thank you all for your responses.

• By slow I mean slow to initiate sync, not actual speed whilst syncing...this is ok. We have been conducting very simple tests by copying simple files without any editing along the way...
    • Setups are just basic adsl modems and PC's at two remote locations. There are no peculiar firewall settings or anything too out of the ordinary. Foldershare works faultlessly currenty.
    • No Macs involved.

We have high hopes for this product and hope it can quickly achieve the reliability and performance demonstrated to us by Foldershare. We will submit our logs as suggested....

Thanks for your interest.

Regards

Billy.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:55 AM
  • I think that one of the more popular feature requests seems to revolve around more fine grained tools for defining how quickly and how often Live Mesh initiates a sync - you could add your vote to the Suggestions Sticky!
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:34 PM