Problem adding 1TB hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have this HP computer running WHS 
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1466838#spec 
    Every thing was great until I added a new 1TB hard drive. 
    The computer starts up fine, the drive shows up in the WHS console and is healthy but after about 10 min the server blue screens and restarts. 
    The blue screen error codes are 
    0x0000007F (0x0000008 0x80042000 0x00000000 0x00000000) 
    or 
    0x0000007F (0x0000008 0xF7727FE0 0x00000000 0x00000000) 
    I have non installed McAfee or Norton Anti virus. 
    I have tested the drive using HPs diagnostic software and it is working fine. 
    Please Help!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 9:42 PM

Answers

• I reinstalled whs. The first time it hung near the end (my fault, I took the CD out too soon) The second time it worked find. Every thing is working great again now and I didn't loose any of the files in my network folders. 
    Now the console says the total storage is 1.14TB.
    I hope I don't need to do that every time I install a Hard drive but at least its all working fine now.

Update:
    The problem returned after I reinstalled my AV(comando), I uninstalled it, problem solved!

• Marked as answer by eoinor Friday, October 10, 2008 3:08 PM
    • Edited by eoinor Monday, October 13, 2008 5:57 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539 0x7F points to a hardware error.
    Since it seems to be related to the new disk, maybe the disk or it's cabling have issues.
    Are there any errors in the event log?

Does the disk work in another computer without problems for a longer time?
    This happening after about 10 minutes could also point to a thermal issue: As soon as the drive gets warm, the crash appears.

Since you did not tell us anything about the current hardware you may have added to the server, could also be, that the power supply is getting weak.

Such hardware related errors are hard to diagnostic remotely.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:15 AM
  • I have not added any other hardware.
    I get this error after the crash.
    08/10/2008 18:12 Application Error Fault bucket 853475112.

I think the drive is working, It is not getting warm and I have the cover removed from the case.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 5:54 PM
  • As with all hardware related errors - without testing facilities all statements can only stay speculations.
    Since you do not have the problem without the drive ...
    Can be the drive, the cable, controller, the power supply, an issue with memory and more ...

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:31 PM
  • As Olaf i would say that this looks like a HD failure.
    If you can please see if you can format and use the drive on another PC. If you can then for some reason WHS does not like it.
    If it cannot format or work then get it swapped for a new at your supplier

~Tommy
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Every piece of hardware out there that I have seen, has a maximum harddrive size of 750gb for use with windows home server. that might be the ceiling for internal capacity for that operating system. On the HP website, the Mediasmart server has a maximum total capacity of 6TB, and it states right there:

Secure your files, photos and other digital valuables with expansion capacity up to 6TB of storage.***
    *** Using 750GB drives.

so, it might be, in my opinion, a software hard limit. I could be wrong, but I can't find any other hardware featuring the windows home server software, nor can I currently find the software alone on the shelf.

----------
    Don't get dead, it's bad for your health
    Don't forget to backup, you'll be sorry if you forget
    Just remember, all these high tech pieces of equipment were made by the lowest bidder.
    Writer at large
    Friday, October 10, 2008 2:04 PM
  • I reinstalled whs. The first time it hung near the end (my fault, I took the CD out too soon) The second time it worked find. Every thing is working great again now and I didn't loose any of the files in my network folders. 
    Now the console says the total storage is 1.14TB.
    I hope I don't need to do that every time I install a Hard drive but at least its all working fine now.

Update:
    The problem returned after I reinstalled my AV(comando), I uninstalled it, problem solved!

• Marked as answer by eoinor Friday, October 10, 2008 3:08 PM
    • Edited by eoinor Monday, October 13, 2008 5:57 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Liath said:

Every piece of hardware out there that I have seen, has a maximum harddrive size of 750gb for use with windows home server. that might be the ceiling for internal capacity for that operating system. On the HP website, the Mediasmart server has a maximum total capacity of 6TB, and it states right there:

Secure your files, photos and other digital valuables with expansion capacity up to 6TB of storage.***
    *** Using 750GB drives.

so, it might be, in my opinion, a software hard limit. I could be wrong, but I can't find any other hardware featuring the windows home server software, nor can I currently find the software alone on the shelf.

For what it's worth, I have 2x 1TB drives in my HP (in addition to 2x 500 GB that it came with). No problems.

The promotional material may have been written when 1TB drives were still very expensive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:21 PM
  • In my case I have had WHS and SQL Server 2008 running happily on an HP DL120 for several weeks. Just now, I found that SL Server services are stopped, although WHS appears to be running OK and reporting shared folders and server storage as usual. When I tried to restart the SQL Server services this failed and I got the 'Fault bucket 853475112' error logged. However there are no other application errors logged. I have not made any hardware changes. I have tried rebooting. This doesn't appear to be a disk failure, but I have no idea how to start investigating further.

Jon
    Jon Stranger
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 7:59 AM