Windows Home Server Folder Redirection RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on setting up a new home server.  On the network there is 1 desktop and 2 laptops.  There is also five users for these computer and they may log in to any one of the computers. 

I woud like to redirect all the computers local data storage (i.e. my documents, my music, my pictures) locations to one on the windows home server.  Is there an eay way to map these folder locations using a group polocy or do I need to login as each user and change he folder mapping?  Because there is laptops in this setup, will I be able to use the "make folder available off line" work once the folder locations have been redirected? 

Computers:

HP Windows MediaSmart Server EX495
    Desktop (windows 7)
    Laptop (windows 7)
    Laptop (XP Pro)

Thanks

• Edited by slojeeps Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:47 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:17 PM

All replies

• You would have to map each PC individually. However, using folder redirection with your server may not work as well as you would like, particularly if you're thinking about using it on a laptop which will be taken away from your LAN. Presumably in that case you would also want to use offline files, and there have been some issues with offline files, Windows Home Server, and certain file types (Word and Excel documents, for example).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Ken,

These are all the issues I am dealing with.  I have not found any posts or comments that deal with this issue.  I am surprised more poeple are not dealing with this.  I do have 2 laptops on the LAN that are taken off the LAN for use away from the home network.

You spoke of file issues with WHS and certin file types (Word, Excel documents).  What are the issues?

Thanks,
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Not being able to open these files in the application in the original folder while being offline - is that issue enough? It is not that hard to find more informations about related issues.
    And I think this kind of problems is rarely discussed, because offline files is not a technology, which is often used in home environments. Therefore it is relatively easy for Microsoft to say, that this is not supported. Just as Previous versions and other stuff, you may know from a normal Windows Server 2003/2008.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:42 PM