re-install WHS1 on server with raid RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I've used whs1 for a couple of years now.

But my computer died on me. I was hoping to re-install it on another PC. Probably I have to buy another licence ?

I tried to install whs on a Intel server (I once bought this server secondhand to play around with Linux)

The server is an intel entry server Sc5250. The mainboard is a Intel S875WP1-E. It has 2 SATA discs in it.

It  uses an onboard Promise Fasttrack SATA150 TX4 controller based on ICH5R chip.

During boot i can choose <CTRL+A> to enter the Adaptec SATA raid contoller Array configuration utilty.

I can choose for RAID o or RAID1.

I've chosen for RAID0(stripe).

I've loaded the windows homeserver DVD (WHS1). During install, it says it can't found a hard-drive to install windows, would you like to install additional drivers ?

Yes.

I've downloaded the driver from the Intel downloadcenter:FastTrak TX4000/S150 TX Series Driver Diskette.Microsoft Windows Server 2003 miniport driver 1.00.0.37

This is supposed to be a RAID SATA driver for w2003 (32 bit).

But WHS still complains about not finding a suitable harddisk to install.

Is there a trick to use some sort of raid building utility first ? Or is WHS not compatible with my hardware ?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:11 AM

Answers

• Hello Rob,

Since you're able to install Ubuntu, your hardware is clearly working, so my guess is that this is a driver issue.

I was browsing the documentation for your motherboard on the Intel website, and noticed that your motherboard contains 2 sata ports controller by the ICH5-R chipset, and certain models contain an addition 4 ports that are controlled by the Promise controller. Therefor I ask myself: is it at all possible that your drives are connected to the ports ICH5-R chipset? According to the documentation, these would be marked SATA B1 and SATA B2. If that is the case, try downloading the corresponding driver here.

In case your drives are connected to the Promise controller, you could try to connect them to the ICH5-R and install the drivers above.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sven

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

One thing I can thing of is that the Promise Fasttrack SATA 150 TX4 controller has been disabled in the BIOS and therefore the controller and disks are not detected.

Check your BIOS (F2 when booting if I'm not mistaken) to see if the controller is enabled. I believe this should be under Advanced > Peripheral Configration

Regards,

Sven

PS: Although your drives do not seems to be connected to the Adaptec SATA controller, I would advise against using RAID 0 as this will make your server storage less reliable.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Hello Sven,

Thank you for you fast reply.

I'm now installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop. Although you can't compare this to windows, but this OS is installing just fine. It sees the SATA controller and harddisks,no problems here.

You are right about RAID0. I just chose RAID 0 to see if WHS would install,but it makes no difference wheter I choose RAID0, or RAID1.

Ok, I've checked the BIOS settings.

In the Advanced section:

ATA/IDE Configuration [Enhanced] other choices are"legacy, or disabled". So this is OK

In the harddisk section:  SATA port 0: ST3250310ns  (seagate 250 Gb)

SATA port 1: ST3250310ns (seagate 250 Gb) . That seems to be correct. I do have 2 seagate drives !

BOOT section:

boot sequence:

1st drive:[HostRAID#0 - #0]
    2nd drive:Plextor DVD
    3nd drive:Floppy disk 1,44

This means that the Onboard promise fasttrack TX4 controller is enabled.

I really have no idea what I can do next...

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:20 AM
  • My recommendation is to avoid the use of RAID. Windows Home Server V1 includes Drive Extender, which offers similar functionality, recovering a RAID array may not be as simple as the manufacturer would have you believe, and recovering Windows Home Server installed on a RAID array with all data intact can be extremely difficult.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Hello Rob,

Since you're able to install Ubuntu, your hardware is clearly working, so my guess is that this is a driver issue.

I was browsing the documentation for your motherboard on the Intel website, and noticed that your motherboard contains 2 sata ports controller by the ICH5-R chipset, and certain models contain an addition 4 ports that are controlled by the Promise controller. Therefor I ask myself: is it at all possible that your drives are connected to the ports ICH5-R chipset? According to the documentation, these would be marked SATA B1 and SATA B2. If that is the case, try downloading the corresponding driver here.

In case your drives are connected to the Promise controller, you could try to connect them to the ICH5-R and install the drivers above.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sven

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Ken: I really don't know RAID0, or RAID1. I know about the functionality of the drive extender. Just a couple of hours ago, I installed another sata drive (WD 250 Gb) in the Intel server. The Adaptec raid configuration controller immediately "saw"there was only 1 physical disk.

Instead of RAID, I saw JBOD disk Western digital 250 gb.

But even with one disk WHS reported "there's no disk available to host the windows files".
    Sven: You are right about ICH5-R and 2 sata ports, but i'm not sure if they would be marked SATA B1, and B2, I suspect there always connected through the ICH5-R chip.

I will try to use the driver you mentioned.

OK. UPDATE...07-19-2012 12.15PM

I downloaded this utilty from Intel downloadsite: Promise* Technologies Serial ATA (non-RAID) S150 TX4 (PDC20319) Driver .  I had created a DOS bootdisk with this file copied on to the floppydisk.
    Booted from floppdisk and ran the RAID utility. In the utility I had to choose [NON-SATA] instead of RAID configuration.

Now WHS can see my non-raid sata disk. Windows WHS1 is installing right now while I'm typing this post. I had to install the appropriate NIC ethernet drivers, since WHS doesn't recognize the Intel/Pro100/Pro1000 Nic.

Everything seems to work. All updates have been installed.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:20 PM
  • I downloaded this utilty from Intel downloadsite: Promise* Technologies Serial ATA (non-RAID) S150 TX4 (PDC20319) Driver .  I had created a DOS bootdisk with this file copied on to the floppydisk.

Strange. Wasn't this the driver you mentioned initally, or did I mistakenly assume you had these drivers?

Anyhow, good to hear you managed to solve this issue.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:48 PM
  • At first, I probably didn''t had the correct driver, but then again, there are soo many drivers, I had to search quite a bit before i had the right one.

There''s just one small issue left. I want external users to visit the windows home server.

I forwarded these ports in the NAT table on my router:

TCP 80 (http)
    TCP 443 (secure http)
    TCP 4125 (RWW)
    TCP 3389 (RDW)

These ports forward to internal ip 192.168.1.150.

I allready created a domain via the Windows Homeserver (windows live account) a couple of years ago.

Here are some screenshots showing it is working.

Users get a http 404 error: The page cannot be found ??

On my old computer it worked, and on this one it doesn''t anymore.
    I can access it internally. When i type http://192.168.1.150 I see the opening screen, but as I said before, external users can''t.

The error 404 page comes from Internet Information Server on WHS,right ? So that means extrenal users are directed " trough" the router to WHS.
    But WHS doesn''t seem to serve the right webpage ?

Friday, July 20, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Oh, never mind. i figured it out myself. I made a stupid mistake.
    I had to clear cookies and browse history within IE. That shows again that Internet explorer sucks. No problem with Firefox.

My Windows Homeserver v1 should now be accessible from the outside.

If someone could try to log in ?

user: visitor

password: Visitor01   (Capital letter V, and number zero-one)

Friday, July 20, 2012 12:18 PM
  • It works.

Showing: 1 - 20 of 20 in Music Show: 20 | 50 | All Files      Page    of 1     

NameLocationSizeTypeDate Modified
     Amy MacDonald - This Is The Life - Front  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:10:09
     Anastasia  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:10:21
     audiograbber  File Folder 22-10-2010 16:41:22
     Diversen  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:35:26
     Evanescence  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:12:09
     Klaus Badelt - The Time Machine  File Folder 4-12-2010 13:47:24
     Lady gaga - the fame  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:12:32
     Lili Allen  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:12:58
     Maria Mena - appently unaffected  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:13:04
     Maria Mena Cause and Effect  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:13:19
     Maria Mena- All this time  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:13:08
     Michael Jackson  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:13:30
     Nelly Furtado  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:13:33
     Queen  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:13:37
     Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:13:48
     The Rolling Stones  File Folder 24-10-2010 18:13:50
     top 40  File Folder 22-10-2010 16:43:36
     Ultratop 50 part 1  File Folder 22-10-2010 16:42:41
     Yolanda Becool-Dcup  File Folder 22-10-2010 16:43:20
     Thumbs.db 8,5 KBData Base File 15-7-2012 17:31:31

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

<Rob Dijkhuizen> wrote in message news:6ed5fa36-6780-46f2-b4c3-661e86e8ca16@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Oh, never mind. i figured it out myself. I made a stupid mistake.
    I had to clear cookies and browse history within IE. That shows again that Internet explorer sucks. No problem with Firefox.
    My Windows Homeserver v1 should now be accessible from the outside.
    If someone could try to log in ?
    user: visitor
    password: Visitor01   (Capital letter V, and number zero-one)

BullDawg
    Friday, July 20, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Thanks,bulldawg for logging in. Now I know  for sure it works.

everyone thanx for your help,much appreciated.
    Note for moderator: This topic is solved !!

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Yes, that works

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:29 PM