One user always marks his "Thank you responses" as answers RRS feed

Answers

• Perhaps you're right. I was concerned about the cases where the OP's response is indeed a solution to the original problem - how can these cases be handled?
    By a moderator. The moderator should either remove the proposal. or upgrade it to a mark.

If the propose feature were implemented in a sensible manner, all threads containing a proposal would indicate a need for moderator action. Right now, most proposals are self-propose by responders, so the signal is hidden by the noise.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Monday, December 14, 2009 9:09 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• Yes, this is why we should change self-mark by OP to self-propose by OP. Or disallow self-anything by OP.

The smooth operation of the forums should not depend on every novice having a perfect understanding of the features. I'm sure this OP does not realize that he/she is doing anything wrong.

Yes, this particular OP could be (gently) educated. But tomorrow there will be another making the same mistake.

Monday, December 14, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Perhaps you're right. I was concerned about the cases where the OP's response is indeed a solution to the original problem - how can these cases be handled?
    By a moderator. The moderator should either remove the proposal. or upgrade it to a mark.

If the propose feature were implemented in a sensible manner, all threads containing a proposal would indicate a need for moderator action. Right now, most proposals are self-propose by responders, so the signal is hidden by the noise.

• Marked as answer by Naomi N Monday, December 14, 2009 9:09 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:27 PM
  • I wouldn't like not having the option to mark my own response as an answer. I often answer my own questions or put someone else's answer into my own words. It is rather bizarre to the mark a "thank you" as an answer. Also, I'm aware that you don't get points for making your own reply an answer.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:44 PM
  • The smooth operation of the forums should not depend on every novice having a perfect understanding of the features.
    Now I got it, Thanks for your analysis! It is just the solution for my problem.

I wouldn't like not having the option to mark my own response as an answer. I often answer my own questions

but do you read any of the posts that precede yours?

Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:19 AM
  • The smooth operation of the forums should not depend on every novice having a perfect understanding of the features.
    Now I got it, Thanks for your analysis! It is just the solution for my problem.

I wouldn't like not having the option to mark my own response as an answer. I often answer my own questions

but do you read any of the posts that precede yours?

Yes. But I often find it helpful to put the response into my own words, then post it to see if I was correct and give others an alternative answer.
    Friday, October 1, 2010 3:47 PM