WHS v1 & 2011 Cannot use "no-ip" domain names? RRS feed

• Question

• I have my own domain name "carterpod.com" which I registered through no-ip.com.  I also use their DDNS service and some additional services.  I can freely use the www.carterpod.com in my system no problems.  However, I cannot get past the domain wizard for remote access.  It only recognizes Windows live custom domains, or domains from tzo.com.  I am very happy with no-ip services and they are much more within my budget than to go to tzo.com.  I just purchased WHS 2011 for a build I am working on, and I have heard that I will have the same problem with 2011 as I am having with v1.  Please say this isn't so....  I have also headr that I will need to buy a SSL cert.  Is this true?
    Friday, February 17, 2012 3:28 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is not designed to use an arbitrary dynamic DNS service. Only those in the list that you've already seen (for your V1 server) or the equivalent list in Windows Home Server 2011, are supported.

As for buying a certificate: You don't have to do so if you use the Live-based "xxx.homeserver.com" vanity URL. You may have to for third party domain services; whether you do or not will depend on the particular service provider.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:37 PM