WHS not showing and allowing acces to files/folders after making some folders available offline (Windows 7) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently installed windows 7 on my PC and Laptop and wanted to get music/videos/photos stored on the WHS into the corresponding libraries on my computers. As it was complaining about not having indexed the locations, I made them available offline. Everything went well until I restarted my computer (I sometimes get that 'this account is currently locked out' problem too). When I logged in and went into the mapped network drive, every file had a cross on it and it only showed me the shares and files I had made available offline. The information bar on the bottom of the explorer says 'Offline status: Offline (not connected)'

My server responds to ping and can access it by remote desktop. I just can't access my files and folders anymore. Help please.

Thanks,
    Jaanus
    • Edited by JaanusJ Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:48 PM Fixed images
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    unfortunately Offline Folder support is not working well with Windows Home Server, since there are difficulties due to the special methods Windows Home Server uses to store data in shared folders (by using tombstones in the original share, which are pointing to one of the potential duplicated copies. So it could be, that sometimes only the tombstones are visible offline, which means the real data is not accessible.
    In the past users reported also issues with Office files, here the files were only accessible offline after copying them off to a real local folder.
    So the statement remains, it is not supported.
    Ifd you still wish to synchronize certain folders, tools like MS SyncToy can be helpful.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:37 PM