Synching two computers to each other and to a USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have a PC (desktop) running Vista and a Laptop running XP on a home network.  I also have an External USB drive that I use to backup selected data

I want to be able to sync selected data on all three devices so that at least once a day the data in question will be the same on all 3 devices.  Seldom, if ever, will all 3 devices be operating at the same time

To clarify, I would like to be able to sych data like this

a. Laptop to/from PC
    b. Laptop to/from USB drive
    c. PC to/from USB drive

If necessary, I would be content to sync data like this

b. Laptop to/from USB drive
    c. PC to/from USB drive

Can this be done with Synctoy 2.0?

Thank you
    Monday, June 2, 2008 10:25 AM

Answers

• Currently SyncToy cannot support creating a folder pair which has more than 2 folders that it needs to keep in sync. You can however model yoru scenario as multiple folder pairs. Create one folder pair between your desktop and the USB hard drive. Create another folder pair between the USB harddrive and the laptop - this should help you keep all three folders in sync.

Deepa

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:11 PM

All replies

• I want to do a similar operation. Machine A (WinXP) <> USB Hard Drive <> Machine B (WinXP).
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Currently SyncToy cannot support creating a folder pair which has more than 2 folders that it needs to keep in sync. You can however model yoru scenario as multiple folder pairs. Create one folder pair between your desktop and the USB hard drive. Create another folder pair between the USB harddrive and the laptop - this should help you keep all three folders in sync.

Deepa

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:11 PM
  • The solution we have so far is good enough for me too, kind of. Still looking for a solution which synch a folder on two different computers more easily, though. Any help or tips appreciated.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:28 PM