Using a word template in a workflow RRS feed

• Question

•  

HI,

Can´t undestand that I can´t find anything about this straight forward issue.

If a given event happens I would like a WORKFLOW (based on creation of a Order) rule to take my word template letter and put for instance the customers name or something on that letter.

The problem is in all is simplicity that I need a workflow to put a dynamic variable into a word letter template and then assign this word letter to that given custormer who triggered this event. The workflow I can manage, but not the thing with the letter and the dynamic value in that letter.

I am new to this, can anyone help me, above should be possible?

Thank you in advance

Jens Hansen

Denmark 

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:50 AM

Answers

• Jens,

You can only use mail templates in workflows - not mail merge templates.

/Henrik (proactive.dk)

Monday, October 27, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Yes ... not mail merge templates = word templates.

You can not use mail merge templates in workflows - you must use mail templates - but they can only be used for mailing predefined mails (including datafields).

But you should be able to make a mail merge template, add datafields, and then save it for later use.

/Henrik (proactive.dk)

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:55 PM

All replies

• Jens,

You can only use mail templates in workflows - not mail merge templates.

/Henrik (proactive.dk)

Monday, October 27, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Henrik:

Do you mean "not word merge templates"?

I have taken another direction to this then - nice to know, thank you... The merge with word. xml files still gives me problems though. Do you by any chance have a link concerning the subject, since all I can find only deals with setup stuff exclusively in CRM, which do not relate to the real problems in this. 

If it possible to automate it at all. If you need to edit a template from CRM, it will fire word and then you have to setup the datafields again, even though I have done that in the XML-file, which was attached to the template in CRM before use of it.

/Jens

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Yes ... not mail merge templates = word templates.

You can not use mail merge templates in workflows - you must use mail templates - but they can only be used for mailing predefined mails (including datafields).

But you should be able to make a mail merge template, add datafields, and then save it for later use.

/Henrik (proactive.dk)

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:55 PM