none
Console is somehow broken RRS feed

• Question

• In another thread of mine here I said I was going to uninstall the add-in Asoft AutoExit. I did, and now have the situation where the Disk Management and avast add-ins are no longer available., even though they're installed. There's no tab for Disk Management, & it's not listed under Settings at all anymore. avast has a tab but, if you click on it, you just get a blank blue screen.
    So far, I reinstalled AutoExit to see if that would straighten things out, but it didn't. I uninstalled Disk Management and reinstalled it, but there's still no tab for it nor is it listed in Settings. I tried to uninstall avast from the the Console, but the uninstall failed.

Any idea what's going on? Please don't tell me I have to reinstall the server. 
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:22 PM

Answers

• It is possible that that particular add-in caused the problem when it was removed; some add-ins install (and therefore remove on uninstallation) a copy of a particular Windows Home Server DLL. (This is not best deployment practice...) Reinstalling the add-in will probably not fix the issue, so don't bother.

What I would try first is uninstalling the most recent WHS update, KB957825, then running updates through the console to reinstall it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Monday, January 12, 2009 4:37 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:01 PM

All replies

• It is possible that that particular add-in caused the problem when it was removed; some add-ins install (and therefore remove on uninstallation) a copy of a particular Windows Home Server DLL. (This is not best deployment practice...) Reinstalling the add-in will probably not fix the issue, so don't bother.

What I would try first is uninstalling the most recent WHS update, KB957825, then running updates through the console to reinstall it.

• Marked as answer by Bobsie Monday, January 12, 2009 4:37 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Wow, wow, wow!!!
    Did what you said and everything is now working fine, without the offending add-in (ASoft AutoExit).
    I can't even imagine how you knew this was the thing to do, but I'll be eternally grateful.
    I now owe you for at least 6 incredibly-useful insights. Hope I can pay you back some day.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Should I ever show up in your neck of the woods, you can buy me a beer. :D
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:14 PM