Saving Job XML file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I open an HPC Job XML file, make changes to it and replace the file, I get a dialog box displaying the following:

HPC Cluster Manager

The process cannot access the file: MyJob.xml because it is being used by another process.

Do I need to save it to a new file?  I am running Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 SP1.  I don't recall having this issue with HPC Server 2008.

Thanks

Lou
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Lou,

Could you try to determine, which process is using the file at the moment of the error message?

It can be done with handle.exe utility from here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx 

Example of usage:

handle.exe -a MyJob.xml

Thanks,
    Łukasz

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Hi Lukasz,

Yes, I've already run Process Explorer and it displays HpcClusterManager.exe for the file handle.  That makes sense, but I can't understand why I can't replace my existing XML template.  BTW, I did the same from the HPC Job Manager and I get the same thing except Process Explorer displays HpcJobManager.exe for the file handle.  To reproduce the error, run the HPC Job Manager, click on "New Job from XML File...", open the file, click "Save Job XML File...".  In the "Save As" dialog box, I chose the file that I originally opened, it will ask you want to replace it, I clicked "YES" and then I get the error.

Thanks

Lou
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Hi Lou,

Could you tell me what are the version numbers in Help -> About ?

Thanks,
    Łukasz

Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi Lukasz,

Both Job Manager and Cluster Manager display:

HPC Pack 2008 R2

Server Version: 3.1.3267.0

Client Version: 3.1.3267.0

Thanks,

Lou
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Thank you for providing all details and for reporting the issue!
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:46 PM