Better support for SATA drives RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've noticed that alot of people are claiming that WHS is not working correctly with SATA drives, especially those for which you need to install a 3rd party driver.  I suggest that WHS come with more SATA support to prevent these errors and bugs from occurring, I had a simialr problem with my 120GB Western Digital SATA drive.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:12 PM

All replies

• I believe Microsoft intends to include additional drivers with the RTM version of WHS. NICs, in particular, need better support. However, since WHS is based on Windows Server 2003, I don't know how many additional drivers they will include. Drivers for that OS often aren't available for consumer grade hardware.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:32 PM
  • I wish I could see how the driver issues are for NIC cards, but I'm still stuck with getting the installer to run the setup.  My primary concern isn't so much SATA driver availability, but rather the fact that even with third party drivers (the drivers straight from the manufacturer) WHS will still bluescreen unless you install it to a PATA drive.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 6:14 PM
  • I installed on a SATA drive without any problems.  This was my first time ever using a SATA drive so, I could be missing something.  Also, I only had one drive in the machine.  It installed just fine.  I will be adding a second drive in the near future though.

What exactly seems to be going wrong for you?

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 9:16 PM
  • I installed WHS on a 40 gig PATA drive and then added a 500 gig SATA drive with no problems.  It seems to be using both just fine.

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:40 PM