Home Server Connector software on Windows 7 Ult x64 won't uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• After receiving an HP DataVault WHS box (pre PP3) I connected various clients one of which was a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 PC,  there was a red alert issued on HS asking to remove that PC's Home Connector software and reinstall it from the HS (not the HP CD as was done originally).  Other PC's didn't have this problem.  After installing PP3, I scheduled time to complete this maintenance on the client; however, attempts to uninstall the software fail and the installer merely seems to reinstall the software.  After multiple attempts I even tried installing the server's offered version over the top but that also had the same results.  Now frustrated I just want the Connector software off that client entirely.  To this end I've removed that PC from the HS via the HS Console.  Even so the client's software will not uninstall.

Any ideas?  I'm holding off using the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool for the time being hoping someone has experienced this and knows of a solution but this is likely me next step.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 12:26 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem, and went into the registry to find the uninstall string to remove it.

Start Regedit. Go to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall and search for home.

It will take you to the reg key for Home Server Connector, find the uninstall string and copy and paste it into a run prompt. Press enter, and choose remove.

• Marked as answer by Dale DU-IT Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:48 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Too funny, I've been fighting this problem for 6 months and finally threw up my hands today :)

Running the registry key did not solve my problem.  BUT this thread gave me a couple of other clues.  I disabled all the virus checkers, firewall, EVERYTHING, and uninstall still did not work.  Then I went to http://server:55000/ and downloaded the installation program.  Went to the DL folder and ran the install as administrator.  It FINALLY completely installed.

Everything appears to be working properly.

• Marked as answer by Dale DU-IT Monday, February 7, 2011 8:52 PM
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:09 PM

All replies

• I trick I used that "sometimes" works:

Check for a connector setup package in the "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\upgrade" directory:
    Run this setup package (if there is a connector installed the install will run in upgrade or repair mode)

Then cancle the installation at the point is ask you for the server name/password to connect to. This will roll-back the installation and (hopefully) uninstall any left-overs from the installation it tried to upgrade. Restart the PC and then manually remove any files left in the directory "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server".

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:53 PM
  • that is an interesting suggestion - I'll give it a go sometime this week - thanks
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:24 AM
  • nada - that didn't happen - tried the technique but there is no opportunity to break the uninstall/reinstall cycle as it happens.

off the site page for the HP-DataVault I downoad the x64 Connector Toolkit.  It ran and indicated an error but no specifics that would be of any help.  Dumb tool!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:28 PM
  • OK,
    Now under these circumstances I personally would try removing the old installer using the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool.
    (Make sure after this you check the Program files folder and registry for any obvious left-overs to be removed?)

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:34 PM
  • I think it would be a good idea to consult with one of the HP DataVault Technical Support Agents. I believe you are based in the States if so call the following number:

800-334-5144

Br
    James
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:26 PM
  • What happens, if you right click the setup.exe and  try to run the uninstall executable "as Administrator"?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:05 PM
  • It sounds like the original install never completed successfully... so to successfully uninstall it, you may need to figure out how to thoroughly install it first.

A few suggestions if you haven't tried these already... You might want to try deactivating any anti-virus / anti-spam protection and going through the steps again to see if that makes any difference. You might also try booting into safe mode and then attempting the uninstall again.

Final suggestion... if you have system checkpoints and restore enabled, try seeing if you can roll-back to a system checkpoint prior to the connector install. 
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:06 PM
  • I had the same problem, and went into the registry to find the uninstall string to remove it.

Start Regedit. Go to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall and search for home.

It will take you to the reg key for Home Server Connector, find the uninstall string and copy and paste it into a run prompt. Press enter, and choose remove.

• Marked as answer by Dale DU-IT Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:48 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Its amazing that all this time has passed since initiating this thread and now I'm back having Googled looking for a solution to this exact problem again ... funny how that works :-)

Gavin thank you.  That's a great answer for manual removal and fully thorough albeit a lot of clicks.

Hopefully this will be that last time I need to read this thread for need of fixing a broken connector - tonight's saga involves a failing backup requesting that I reinstall the connector and it won't, nor repair itself, ...etc - Going to remove and then reinstall from the WHS share.

Dale Unroe
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Too funny, I've been fighting this problem for 6 months and finally threw up my hands today :)

Running the registry key did not solve my problem.  BUT this thread gave me a couple of other clues.  I disabled all the virus checkers, firewall, EVERYTHING, and uninstall still did not work.  Then I went to http://server:55000/ and downloaded the installation program.  Went to the DL folder and ran the install as administrator.  It FINALLY completely installed.

Everything appears to be working properly.

• Marked as answer by Dale DU-IT Monday, February 7, 2011 8:52 PM
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:09 PM
  • I cannot remove this software. There is no registry entry for HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall and search for home. I tried to repair the software, but there is still no registry key for uninstall. The unistaller under control panel, remove programs, starts but abruptly stops. Upon reboot, the tray icon is red and indicates that the software is damaged. I paid for a Microsoft support chat session, and the best that we could do was to disable the service using the system configuration tool, and remove the entry from programs by using the unistaller clean up tool. However, after ending our session, I discovered that Windows Media Center Connector was now absent; just a blank icon and no response when the program was run. There are apparently contingencies; perhaps shared registry keys. I had no choice but to perform a system restore at this point. I will simply log on as usual, exit the tray icon, and stop the service using the adminstrative console/services. I paid $49.00 for a support session, and although the tech did the best that he was able, the problem remains unresolved. I am hoping that this will not cause a problem when I configure my new server, running Standard Server 2008 R2, for terminal services and other services. In any case, I feel that I am entitled to a refund from Microsoft for the paid support session which failed to resolve the problem. Eric
    Monday, February 7, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your solution as that sounds like a cleaner fix all around.

I wonder if the 'download' from HS is gettting flagged much the same as any other executable that you download wherein if you open the properties on that download you can click "unblock".  Running as administrator ensures the installer will fully run at the highest priveledges even if the account being used is an 'administrator'.

Dale Unroe
    Monday, February 7, 2011 8:51 PM