none
Got achievement before achieving the requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I just noticed I got the Forums Answerer IV achievement, great!

The problem is that, based on my profile, I only had 496 answers at the time (12 days ago) (Based on the Profile FAQ, The requirement is 500)

I've seen people complainig about not getting their achievement in time but never this...

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:37 AM

Answers

• Right. I think Richard's onto something. If your reply gets "unmarked" as an answer after it was already marked, I don't think the ticks toward your Achievement are directly changed in all cases. So you might have more ticks toward your Achievement than the number shows in your profile. I suppose the system of ticks could be refined and confined more, but technically you did get those marks, right?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:15 PM
    Owner
  • Also, you cannot "unearn" an Achievement. So lets say you had 490 answers, then one day you hit the forums hard and got 12 marked answers. Before the system updated your profile, 6 of them got unmarked. But the Achievements portion saw that you broke the 500 point, and so you earned the medal. However, during and after that, those 6 get unmarked and you're brought back down to 496. Then it finally shows up in your profile.

Now, if you got that achievement and you were 200 answers off, then that's more obviously a bug. =^)

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:19 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I see you have 499 answers at present. As far as I know, the statistics include all replies marked as answer, even ones you marked yourself, but only replies marked by others should count toward the achievement.

A few times I have seen where people got achievements that they did not really earn at the time (myself included), but the problem was always either the profile statistics or activities being in error due to a bug (as far as I know). For some achievements, I think a process is run periodically to check if anyone has earned them, as there can be a delay of several days. Your situation seems new.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:45 AM
  • Right. I think Richard's onto something. If your reply gets "unmarked" as an answer after it was already marked, I don't think the ticks toward your Achievement are directly changed in all cases. So you might have more ticks toward your Achievement than the number shows in your profile. I suppose the system of ticks could be refined and confined more, but technically you did get those marks, right?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:15 PM
    Owner
  • Also, you cannot "unearn" an Achievement. So lets say you had 490 answers, then one day you hit the forums hard and got 12 marked answers. Before the system updated your profile, 6 of them got unmarked. But the Achievements portion saw that you broke the 500 point, and so you earned the medal. However, during and after that, those 6 get unmarked and you're brought back down to 496. Then it finally shows up in your profile.

Now, if you got that achievement and you were 200 answers off, then that's more obviously a bug. =^)

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:19 PM
    Owner
  • As far as I know, the statistics include all replies marked as answer, even ones you marked yourself, but only replies marked by others should count toward the achievement.

I'd call that a bug. Why should the achievement counter differ from the number in the stats. Also, even if this was the case, it just emphasizes the bug I encountered. I had less than 500 answers in my stats too. That would make the number of "achievement answers" even smaller.

If your reply gets "unmarked" as an answer after it was already marked, I don't think the ticks toward your Achievement are directly changed in all cases. So you might have more ticks toward your Achievement than the number shows in your profile.

I suppose this is plausible. I guess I may have had four unmarked answers up to now. (I don't think I had any in the 12 days after the achievement, certainly not four.) It's still a bug though. And prone to abuse by someone repeatedly marking and unmarking an answer.

Yes that would be more obvious, but I wouldn't say it's "more wrong."

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:39 AM