Edge Server with one NIC, anybody successfull ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

sorry guys to bother again but I'm pretty stuck in this project and need to be finished until october.
    i read a lot about OCS Edge Server and one NIC in the same subnet here:
    https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=33

so far it should not be working, if jeff himself haven't got it to run :-)
    but since i have no other option in my enviroment, i just wanted to ask if someone has managed to get this working.

i have
    1 NIC with 3 public IPs for the external services and 1 IP for the internal service.
    all 4 IPs are in the same subnet.
    instant messaging and presence working on edge server for off-site users
    a/v breaks

sorry for wasting your time on that so often discussed topic

thanks

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:21 AM

Answers

• I'd attempt using 1 NIC before the R2 deployment and hit into numerous issues like not getting the correct gateway, the routes are all messed up and list goes on. From a project management POV, I fully agree to get an additional NIC which:

1. Saves your deployment time
    2. Saves you from running troubleshooting unneccessary issues
    3. Supported deployment approach by Microsoft

If you're running NAT for your Access Edge, 2 NIC would do you good.

James
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Just wanted to add that getting that to work is very dependent on the specific network design where the server will be installed, so what works for one deployment may not work for another.  It's not an 'OCS thing' but more of a basic networking issue that causes the requirements.

Also you may get very limited to no support from Microsoft if you have issues either during or after the deployment and the supported solution would be to reconfigure the Edge server properly.  Best to point your networking team to these discussions if they require more convincing that using the Edge server as it was not intended is typically going to be worse down the road.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:57 AM

All replies

• An extra NIC really does not cost that much ....
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:45 AM
  • don't tell me, but my hands are tied on that ....
    in fact im curious if there is someone who has got it up and running with 1 NIC anyway
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:47 AM
  • I have my edge server running on one nic with 4 IP's and everything seems to be running fine.  The one thing I had to do was uncheck the "register this address in DNS" checkbox in the TCP/IP properties because it kept registering all 4 IP's in my internal DNS.  Since all 4 IP's were registered, I got sporadic drops or errors because the FE and director kept grabbing the wrong IP out of DNS and would try to send traffic to an incorrect IP (i.e. it would try to send traffic to the web conf IP instead of the internal IP).  Once I stopped the auto-registration and manually created an A record with the correct internal IP, all those issues went away.

Rich

Rich Getteau
    Monday, September 28, 2009 9:10 PM
  • I'd attempt using 1 NIC before the R2 deployment and hit into numerous issues like not getting the correct gateway, the routes are all messed up and list goes on. From a project management POV, I fully agree to get an additional NIC which:

1. Saves your deployment time
    2. Saves you from running troubleshooting unneccessary issues
    3. Supported deployment approach by Microsoft

If you're running NAT for your Access Edge, 2 NIC would do you good.

James
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Just wanted to add that getting that to work is very dependent on the specific network design where the server will be installed, so what works for one deployment may not work for another.  It's not an 'OCS thing' but more of a basic networking issue that causes the requirements.

Also you may get very limited to no support from Microsoft if you have issues either during or after the deployment and the supported solution would be to reconfigure the Edge server properly.  Best to point your networking team to these discussions if they require more convincing that using the Edge server as it was not intended is typically going to be worse down the road.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:57 AM