none
Microsoft Money

Question

• Responding to an earlier post I read (can't find it now) asking us to try things out - I copied my Microsoft Money 2005 data file onto a duplicated folder on the WHS. Until now I've been quite happily using it from a shared folder sat on a Linux box without any problems.

For the first few hours, Money worked normally. However, just now when I went into Money, it told me that the file was corrupt and would need to be repaired. However, it couldn't do anything with it.

So it seems Money is another app that can't have its data files stored and managed by DEMigrator.

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:41 PM

Answers

• I keep the Money file on my local machine, then Money puts its automatic backups on the Home Server and another copy on a flash drive for disaster recovery purposes.  Works fine.

However, it would be nice to access the Money file from more than one machine, but I guess RDP is the less-than-optimal workaround to that issue.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 10:20 PM

All replies

• is this with the RC build of WIndows Home Server?

Can you give the exact repro steps and error message?

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:34 PM
  • I am seeing a similar problem with Microsoft Money 2006. Evey time I copy it out to the shared folder I am no longer able to access the file. It states my username or password for signing into the .mny file is incorrect. I had a backup of the file on my local pc and I was able to open that one using the same username and password. I then deleted the one on the file share and re-copied the working .mny file back to the server. I received the same error.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:03 PM

• I also had the same problem with Money 2006, one day I wasn't able to open my money file any more (incorrect username / password), even when selecting to work offline. I had no choice but use a month old version which I still had on my local drive. Since this happened I am not storing my money file on the WHS server any more.

Dirk

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:52 AM
  • Does this behavior happens if storing the money file on a non-duplucated folder ?

I know that database files are not good clients for hot copy !! (copying while the file is open.)

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:35 AM
  • I have experienced the same issue with Money 2005. I have similar issues when the money file is located on a replcated DFS node...so I am presuming that this is  similar replication issue.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:14 AM
  • Yes, it's with RC build of WHS.

I Will try it on a non-duplicated folder later on and let you know. However, I suspect it will probably work as it's been working happily from a SAMBA share on a Linux server for the last couple of years!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:17 AM
  •  

Cyrebre wrote:

Does this behavior happens if storing the money file on a non-duplucated folder ?

I know that database files are not good clients for hot copy !! (copying while the file is open.)

Yeah, and IMHO this is unfortunately the only flaw with WHS: 1) these are exactly the files you want to be protected (duplicated) 2) a user should not have to worry about (or even be aware of) which kind of files can be stored on the WHS, and which can not (unless the app specifically states that its files can not be stored on any network storage). Well, I guess this is a limitation of the technology, and we just have to live with it...

Dirk

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:39 PM
  • The duplication process should be transparent for the client no matter what kind of file we are storing. It makes me seriously worried if this isn't the case. What other kind of files will have problems? Access databases I suppose - or? Anyone that knows?

Suddenly RAID seems like an alternative again.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:12 PM
  • I had the same issue with a Quicken 2005 QDF file using WHS CTP. the quicken data file was stored in a duplicated shared folder on WHS. it was accessible and usable initially, but after the first day every time the QDF file was accessed by a client computer the file was unusable -- no messages appeared, but it was obvious something was wrong since all of the Quicken Account registers were empty - even though the dollar amounts were correct. I had been using W2K Server successfully for over a year to access/edit my Quicken files from various client computers on the LAN.

I haven't installed WHS RC yet, but it sounds like the file corruption is not going to be fixed. Not good. I agree, if there is going to be some uncertainty about file type compatibility with WHS it seriously limits the "file sharing" functionality as the home user will have zero confidence that the data file will maintain its integrity. It's ironic that Microsoft's own product (MS Money) has issues with the DE migrator architecture.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:40 PM
  • I put a copy of my money data file on  a non-duplicated WHS share. Sure enough, for the first few hours it was fine. However, I've just tried to open it now, and I get an error:

It's a password protected money file, so I enter my password. The MS Money says:

"Money has detected that you did not close the file "richard's accounts" before exiting. Money needs to verify the information in the file..."

If I click yes to verify, it tells me the password is incorrect.

It looks like MS Money doesn't like the way DE moves files.

So I shall have to go back to keeping my MS Money file on my Linux server!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:51 PM
  • I had the same problems with Money and Quicken data files with WHS... unfortunately, I also had these problems using simple NAS devices (with SMB shares).

I finally gave up on both Money and Quicken. They've both become bloatware anyway. I switched to MoneyDance (www.moneydance.com).

It is a solid replacement for Money and Quicken - it took me about 4 hours of work to convert my Quicken file that has all of our financial lives in it for the last 13 years. MD is fast, lightweight, plays nicely with network storage and does all of the things that I "need" from Quicken.

I'm not affiliated in any way, other than being a satisfied customer. Plus it is so much nicer to have a 3 MB Moneydance file instead of the old 30MB quicken data files.

Ted

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:29 PM
  • I can't answer for Money, but I can tell you that Quicken very specifically doesn't support storing the data file on a network share. QuickBooks is another story, of course.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:52 PM
  • I'm not sure if this is related, or a different issue.

I tried (several times) to back up a client using ntbackup on the client, specifying a WHS share as the destination. It would get part way through then fail (I don't have the failure message). Most times it would also cause WHS to think one of the hard drives had gone bad, until I rebooted the server, at which point it was happy with the drive again.

BTW OneCare backups to the same WHS share seem to be working OK (it splits them up into fairly small Zip files, and maybe it caches them on the client rather than append to them on the server).

Mike

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:56 PM
  • Quicken might not officially support ntework drives, but I've been accessing my Quicken 2005 QDF file on a Win2k Server w/SP4 network share for nearly two years without any issues. I hope the WHS team identifies all the file types that won't be supported when stored on a network share so that the average home user won't be surprised (i.e. ticked off) when they get their shiney brand new WHS box home and find out they can't share certain files.

Granted the issue with Quicken is Intuit's fault, but the average home consumer isn't going to know that.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:17 PM
  •  Spriteman wrote:

Quicken might not officially support ntework drives, but I've been accessing my Quicken 2005 QDF file on a Win2k Server w/SP4 network share for nearly two years without any issues. I hope the WHS team identifies all the file types that won't be supported when stored on a network share so that the average home user won't be surprised (i.e. ticked off) when they get their shiney brand new WHS box home and find out they can't share certain files.

Granted the issue with Quicken is Intuit's fault, but the average home consumer isn't going to know that.

Quicken does not support network locations, same as Outlook PST files.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:18 AM
  • Maybe Quicken doesn't officialy support network drives, but I kept mine on a Samba server for years until Intuit went to copy protection and retroactively put in a policy to disable it after two years.  I checked out Moneydance and found it wouldn't come close to what Quicken did with my stock brokerage accounts.  So I switched to MS Money and it's worked fine -- including with my RAID5 Samba server.  I used to like Quicken so much that I was a beta tester for several years.  Had my name in the credits. But MS Money turned out to be much better, including great tech support.

Tomorrow I'll try my MS Money file with WHS.  Doesn't sound good, though.

Maybe a good workaround would be to keep the Money file on the local PC, but have Money do its automatic backups to WHS each time it shuts down.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:26 AM
  • Folks on this thread,

Have you tried the following:

1. Copying back the file from WHS to your local machine? Do you still see corruption?

2. Trying to repair the file?

thanks,

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Also,

we have been trying to repro this issue in our lab with no success. Is there a typical set of steps you followed? Did you leave the file open on the share through MS Money for extended amounts of time?

thanks,

-mark

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:25 PM
  •  Mark Vayman wrote:

Folks on this thread,

Have you tried the following:

1. Copying back the file from WHS to your local machine? Do you still see corruption?

2. Trying to repair the file?

thanks,

Hi Mark,

yes, I copied the file back to my local machine, but still couldn't open it. I don't think I ever got the option to repair the file, it just refused to take my valid name/password. Since this happened I was using MS Money only locally, but I will move the file back to the WHS and perform a local backup on every close. Maybe I can reproduce the issue on my machine.

Regards,

Dirk

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:13 AM
  • Yep, MS Money would have been open an hour or so each time, but I've also got it set to get automatic updates from my bank via online banking every so often. Therefore, even when you exit MS Money, there's a background process that keeps access to the data file.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 8:36 AM
  • Did this issue ever get resolved or is it just something not to do?

I've got a much older version of money (2002) and I get the same file corruption.  Copy the money data file to a WHS duplicated share (so I can easily access it from any PC in the house) - it worked once but then money refuses to open the file (failing with the interesting 'Money is not installed properly' message)  It still opens local files fine.  Copying the file back from the WHS share to a local disk and the file still can't be opened.  I tried repairing but didn't get anywhere.

My WHS is an old PC with an 80 GB system drive and a 320GB second drive.  Backups and remote access all work fine.

Other files, for example photos and a password manager run fine from the WHS shares.

Is anybody running money successfully from a duplicated share?

Cheers

Steve

Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:25 PM

• BUMP.

I'd like to know as well...
    Friday, August 03, 2007 4:03 PM
  • The thing is MS Money is quite happy about its data file being on a network drive - I currently have my money file on a SAMBA share running under Linux (Centos 4). I've never had a problem. However, it won't work on a WHS share - so it must be down to the way WHS and DEMigrator handle the file storage.

Friday, August 03, 2007 4:10 PM
  • All,

I am experiencing this problem as well, but it is not limited to just Money's files.  This "corruption" of my data happens to mp3s, my images, programs, my .pst backup, anything I have on there.  I haven't narrowed down the time frame, but it seems like it only takes a few hours before my files start acting weird. It seems that I either have to copy something from my WHS to the client multiple times or try to open it multiple times for most of my files to wrok at all.  Some of my files seem to be permantly destroyed now as well.

I have tried this from folders that have duplication turned on and folders with it off with the same result.  My Primary drive is a 74 Gb WD Raptor 10k rpm drive and for storage I have 6 Seagate 750GB sata, 2 Seagate 320 ide, and 4 WD 250 GB sata drives for a total of 5.6 TB.  I am currently have 1.9 TB loaded on to there which is all duplicated.

This is a bummer as I had been previous sharing all of these files via Win2k3 for several years now with no problems whatsoever.  I love WHS' backup and "drive pooling" features, but I cannot continue to use it if it keeps screwing up my files.

Anybody else seeing this?

Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:33 PM

• Wow! sorry to hear that.

I haven't had any trouble with any files so far (knock on wood). I don't have nearly the storage you have though. I sitting at 650GB installed with 301GB used, with only 73GB consumed with duplication.

I have yet to put my MS Money file on to a WHS share after reading this thread back when it got started.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 7:04 AM
  • Well I've got some more info.  It seems that most of the files aren't actually "corrupted".  They only are corrupted if you copy or access them through the network.  I had several files that would not work no matter how many times I tried copying them over from my WHS to my client through my LAN.

I then connected an USB hard drive directly to the WHS and copied my files over to it.  After connecting that drive to my client, the files were fine.  Now I still do have some files that have been legitamtely corrupted, but they could have been files that were copied to the WHS from over the LAN in the first place, or were destroyed by a different phenomena.

One thing of note:  I had already made sure I had the latest drivers available for all of my hardare, but I did notice last night that the NIC driver that is supplied from ASUS for the Marvell Yukon integrated NIC on my ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo was pretty old.  I got the latest NIC driver directly from Marvell and installed it last night......we'll see if it makes a difference.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 1:37 PM
  • We have seen reports similar to this and have tracked them down to bugs in anti-virus software.  What AV software are you using on your client computers?

FWIW, I access my Money 2006 file on a shared folder on my WHS machine and have no problems.  I run InnocuLAN as my AV software.
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:20 PM
  • The XP clients had Symantec AV 9.0.  One Vista install has AVG Free edition and there are 2 new Vista installs that currently have no AV installed at all.

Also, the WHS does not have any AV installed either.

P.S.      It's on any type of file, not just limited to Money.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:28 PM
  • I had the same problem with Microsoft Money 2003 after adding a second drive (it worked fine before).  I also have Symantec installed (on client and server).  Although it appears (at least so far) that my money file was the only one affected (I checked some music and video files and so far they are fine).

Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:13 PM
  •  

I'm running AVG Free 7.5.476 on all the client PCs.

There's no AV on the server.

I'll try and see if disabling AVG makes any difference when I get a chance.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:47 PM
  • A big exhale,

after all these posts regarding Money files, the fact remains that WHS is going to give a LOT of grief to users when it comes to these files.  Why do we not have a solution or acknowledgement from MS?  I guess the new OEM systems will have a paper insert indicating you can not put a money file on a duplicated folder.

My only solution for my wife and I is to create a shared folder on the WHS C drive with nothing but MS Money files.  We both access this single share folder (not duplicated or part of the WHS shares) on the WHS C: drive share.  I also created a folder on each of our PC C: drives called 'Money' and this is where the auto backup file is stored.  At least we have backups on two separate PC's in the event the WHS file gets corrupted (cause it's not duplicated)

Too bad, its a pain.  A few more of these types of issues and WHS becomes worthless.

IMHO

Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:38 PM
  • I've always had problems sharing my Money file from a network share so that two different machines can access it. There are big problems if two people open the file concurrently, even from a regular share, let alone a WHS share. Also big problems if you open it from a network share and leave it open for a long period (any blip in the network connection and my Money file would be toast -- couldn't close Money to save changes, etc).

In the end I wrote a small script that copies the file to the local machine and opens it from there, and renames it on the server so that other invocations of the script won't find it and report that it's locked. Then after Money is closed the file is copied back to the server. That approach has worked perfectly for me on my old file server, and the same seems to work fine with WHS.

Monday, August 06, 2007 12:05 AM
  • For some unknown reason Money now seems quite happy to work with files stored on WHS duplicated shares on my system.

I had to reinstall WHS because of an expired license issue after I corrected the server date.  When the possible anti-virus link was mentioned in this thread I put a Money file back on the server to see if I could get it to go wrong.  The idea was then to turn off AV on a client and see if it was OK but it hasn't gone wrong yet.

It's been fine for two days of occasional use - so early days but this is better than before.

Don't know if this has anything to do with anything but the only difference I can think of is that when I installed the first time around I only had one disk in the server and I added another to the pool a few days later.  Both disks were there for the reinstall.

Great to hear from cek that at least one person has it working.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:49 PM
  •  

I'm on MS Money 2005 (There isn't a 2006 version for the UK!)

I'm not going to entrust my money file to WHS - I'll keep it on the Linux shared drive where it's quite happy and safe!

I've not had a problem with WHS corrupting any other files. Maybe MS will see fit to release a newer version of MS Money to the UK market that might cope with network use a little better.

cek: I'm using Avast! as my anti-virus on my desktop, and there's no antivirus running on the WHS.

Not sure how it can be an AV bug when it works happily from a SMB share on Linux, but not an SMB share from WHS.

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:15 PM
  • I keep the Money file on my local machine, then Money puts its automatic backups on the Home Server and another copy on a flash drive for disaster recovery purposes.  Works fine.

However, it would be nice to access the Money file from more than one machine, but I guess RDP is the less-than-optimal workaround to that issue.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 10:20 PM
  • *Cross posted in Quicken thread*

Well, I found a way that works for me and will for you too as long as you are willing to put up with the extra steps...

1. Install Synctoy on each PC that you run Money on.

2. Set up a share on your WHS where you wish to keep all of your Money data (e.g. \\Server\Money).

3. Create a folder pair in Synctoy on each PC with the name "Money".  Choose the local folder where all of your data is located (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Money) and the server share (\\Server\Money) and set them to Synchronize.

4. In \\Server\Money, create 2 batch files named Money.bat and MoneySync.bat

Copy this into Money.bat and save: (Verify your path to msmoney.exe)

call "\\server\Money\Moneysync.bat"
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\msmoney.exe"
    call "\\server\Money\Moneysync.bat"

Copy this into MoneySync.bat and save: (Verify your path to Synctoy.exe)

"C:\Program Files\SyncToy\synctoy.exe" -r "Money"

5. Change your Money shortcut on each PC to point to \\Server\Money\Money.bat

Now when you use the shortcut, Synctoy will start up and sync your local directory with the server share, start Money, and then sync again when you close out.  Just be sure not to have Money open on more than one PC at a time as the sync upon closing may overwrite data.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:10 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Makes sense and I can see how it works.  I'll set it up.

My money file corrupted again after being ok for a few days.  I'd just copied about 40MB to the server and then opened up money fine but it corrupted when i shut it down a few seconds later.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Pool Shark,

I just setup the batch files like you posted.  Works great!  I had been using RDP to run money off my server.  This is way better.

Thanks,

Chad

Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Here's the Money.bat batch file I use. Doesn't require synctoy, and reports that the file is locked if a second user tries to run it from a different machine. The first backup step is redundant, but I kept it in because I'm paranoid that the MOVE might fail catastrophically one day...

Code Snippet

@ECHO OFF

ECHO Backing up the Money file ...
    COPY \\server\public\Money.mny \\server\public\Money.mny.backup
    IF NOT %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO LOCKED

ECHO Copying Money file from the network ...
    MOVE \\server\public\Money.mny "%LOCALAPPDATA%"
    IF NOT %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO LOCKED

ECHO Starting Microsoft Money.
    ECHO Remember to close Money when you're done. When you close it, the Money file will be copied back to the network
    "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Money.mny"

ECHO Copying Money file back to the network...
    COPY "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Money.mny" \\server\public
    DEL \\server\public\Money.mny.backup
    GOTO END

:LOCKED
    ECHO Money file is currently being used
    PAUSE

:END

Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:03 PM
  • I keep the Money file on my local machine, then Money puts its automatic backups on the Home Server and another copy on a flash drive for disaster recovery purposes.  Works fine

That's the solution i thought of, now i keep getting WHS Folder duplication errors, when you look at the details it says that it failed on the Money Backup File!!!!!

Going to try on a non duplicated folder i guess!

Friday, September 14, 2007 9:10 AM
  • I will be contacting GG090 offline to pursue investigation of this issue, the thread will be updated with any relevant information - thanks.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 2:47 AM
  • I too am having corruption issues with accessing my MS Money on a WHS network share. I am still using the WHS RC.  Does the final version correct this problem?

I can't tell you how scary it would be to accidentally lose all of the data in this file!
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:21 PM
  • 2hip4u,

No, the final version cannot correct this particular problem, as it's an M/S Money 'problem', not a WHS one.

There are ways round this, the most popular and workable ones are as mentioned in this thread.

I would guess, over the coming years, that Microsoft software will become more network aware, now that they have a Consumer server product. Of course, other software providers will also have to recognise it as well.

Colin

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:09 PM
  • The info on ways to save these files is great, but has anyone found a solution to the original problem of corrupt files?  I moved mine to WHS and they have worked well for months.  2 weeks ago I start getting corrupt messages on all of my .mny files and backups from the server.  I have tried repair to no avail.  I am starting to panic as I will lose 7 years of financial data.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:11 PM
  • 2hip4u,

We would like to investigate your data corruption issue. Please contact whsforum@microsoft.com,

thanks,

Mark

Monday, October 29, 2007 4:02 PM
  • PykePyke,

We would like to investigate your data corruption issue. Please contact whsforum@microsoft.com,

thanks,

Mark

Monday, October 29, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Richard

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. 2 weeks ago my Money 2005 did the same thing and I can now no longer access the .mny file or the .mbf file. I am just operating a lap top running vista home premium and saving information on the C drive.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Jeremy,

If you are saving your Money data file in your documents folder on your local machine and a Windows Home Server is not being used to store the Money data files then this is almost surely not a good place to get answers. You might want to try the Money community newsgroup http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.money.

If you post over there, be sure and better define "can no longer access". Were there error messages? What were the messages? What changes have occured since it last worked?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Jeremy Milne said:

Richard

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. 2 weeks ago my Money 2005 did the same thing and I can now no longer access the .mny file or the .mbf file. I am just operating a lap top running vista home premium and saving information on the C drive.

Ever since PP1 came out for WHS, I've had my money data file stored on the WHS with absolutely no ill effects whatsoever. The .mny file is stored on a duplicated share.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:23 PM