Live Sync vs. Live Mesh sync change publishing in a timely manner RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running both Live Sync and Live Mesh and have been doing so for a number of years.  One thing that I've noticed is that Live Sync seems to recognize a change to a file much quicker than Live Mesh does and it publishes that change much quicker also.  For example, say I change a file name in directories monitored by Live Sync or Live Mesh.  The change is published to my subscribed computers almost immediately via Live Sync, but I have to wait some time for Live Mest to recognize a change and publish it to the subscribed computers.

1. Does anyone else notice this same behavior?
    2. Is there a setting somewhere in Live Mesh (maybe in the registry) which controls the "polling time" for publishing and could be changed to shorten the time required to recognize and publish a change?
    3. Is MS looking at using the Live Sync algorthm for change recognition?  I find working with Live Sync to be much more "Live".

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:57 PM

Answers

• 1. Yes. Very maddening.

2. No

3. Rumor has it that Live Sync and Live Mesh will become one product in the near future with the release of "Wave 4" of Windows Live applications and services. We'll have to see as nothing official has been announced, though leaks have indicated this to be the case. What that means for the architecture and how it affects timeliness of sync, we'll see when the beta hits, I guess. ;-)

p.s. I hope that you do not have the same folders defined as being part of Mesh and Sync on a machine or machines as you would be risking loss of data in that case....

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:25 AM