Windows cannot find logon.exe RRS feed

• Question

• When I turn on the computer I always get this message box.
    I don't believe it was affected a virus etc. Our company has a strong firewall and the computer has CA security center real time protection.
    The only suspicious reason might be I run a free software eusing to clean registry in the host machine and virtual machine.

Could you please tell me a convient way to reslove this issue?
    Please don't tell me somewhat to buy a software etc.

Thanks
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:52 PM

Answers

• I've found a solution to my cause of this problem.  It's not a virus though it may have been caused by one.  It's just a bad entry in the registry.
    Click on the start button, then select "RUN".  Type in "regedit" and press enter. Navigate to HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Winlogon and double click on the "shell" name.  A dialog box opens allowing you to modify the values.  You'll find that it has "Explorer.exe" followed by "Logon.exe" in the box.  Erase the "Logon.exe" portion of the entry and click "OK".  Close the editor and reboot.  Your problem should have been solved.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Instead of navigating, hit F3 to find "Logon.exe". You'll find that this is a much easier way to find the "Explorer.exe Logon.exe" in the box.  Erase the "Logon.exe" portion of the entry and click "OK".  Close the editor and reboot.  Your problem should be resolved. Worked for me.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:57 PM

All replies

• Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon, taskmgr, and resmon. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.
    Kukjin Lee

Thursday, July 9, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

which operating system you are using.
    Sudarshan shindode Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Windows xp pro.
    I already tried at least 10 anti spyware software. It is useless.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:11 PM
  • I seem to been having the same issue.  Nothing I've tried yet has fixed it.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:32 AM
  • I've found a solution to my cause of this problem.  It's not a virus though it may have been caused by one.  It's just a bad entry in the registry.
    Click on the start button, then select "RUN".  Type in "regedit" and press enter. Navigate to HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Winlogon and double click on the "shell" name.  A dialog box opens allowing you to modify the values.  You'll find that it has "Explorer.exe" followed by "Logon.exe" in the box.  Erase the "Logon.exe" portion of the entry and click "OK".  Close the editor and reboot.  Your problem should have been solved.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:15 PM
  • It worked for me too.  No more "Windows cannot find logon.exe" messages.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Instead of navigating, hit F3 to find "Logon.exe". You'll find that this is a much easier way to find the "Explorer.exe Logon.exe" in the box.  Erase the "Logon.exe" portion of the entry and click "OK".  Close the editor and reboot.  Your problem should be resolved. Worked for me.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:57 PM
  • after days of searching your surgestion worked for me thanks

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:38 PM