none
onboard shared video memory Question!!!- system requirements! RRS feed

• Question

• the computer i wish to install whs with wants to use  onboard shared video memory i have given it 16mb

will whs still install on it?

CPU
    : 1GHz Pentium 3 or better
    RAM: 512MB minimum
    Hard Drive:1 Hard Drive 80GB internal (IDE, ATA, SATA, or SCSI)
    DVD drive that is bootable
    Monitor for the installation
    QWERTY Keyboard and mouse or a compatible pointing device.  Also installation only.
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 100Mbps Ethernet

this will be my first test machine

Thank you all

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:38 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server uses WinPE 2.0 for parts of the installation process. WHS itself will run with less memory, but WinPE 2.0 fails (with obscure error messages) if it doesn't have enough memory. That said, taking 16 MB away from 512 MB is comfortably above the WinPE-imposed floor, so you should have no concerns there.

You're going to be extremely tight on drive space, however. You can install those 20 GB drives, but because of the way WHS works, it won't make effective use of them. You might want to take a look at the Drive Extender technical brief (and the other technical briefs available from the Windows Home Server subsite; click on For Enthusiasts) for more details on the operation of WHS.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:35 AM

All replies

• There is no reason why not. WHS only uses basic vga, so needs little or no memory.

I'm not sure of that specification you have listed, do you intend using that as a guide or what?

The reason is, although the processor is OK, you really should think about doubling the ram and using the largest hard drive you have available. Using the 80GB drive will mean that you will be severely limited in what you can do.

Colin
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:27 AM
  • hello

Thank you for responce

iam just using that as a guide.

iam going to start with 512mb hopfully upgrade to 1 gb or more.

it's an old ibm p3 i had in storage.

i have a spare 8gb hard drive and afew 20 gb iam going to add after install.

Thanks again.

Regards

T.Scouller.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:31 AM
  • Windows Home Server uses WinPE 2.0 for parts of the installation process. WHS itself will run with less memory, but WinPE 2.0 fails (with obscure error messages) if it doesn't have enough memory. That said, taking 16 MB away from 512 MB is comfortably above the WinPE-imposed floor, so you should have no concerns there.

You're going to be extremely tight on drive space, however. You can install those 20 GB drives, but because of the way WHS works, it won't make effective use of them. You might want to take a look at the Drive Extender technical brief (and the other technical briefs available from the Windows Home Server subsite; click on For Enthusiasts) for more details on the operation of WHS.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:35 AM
  • T.Scouller,

I think you are expecting far too much! WHS reserves the last 20GB of space on a hard drive - any hard drive - so those 20Gb disks are, to all intents, useless.

You really need to be thinking of a 300GB disk, or more, as your system drive. The first 20GB of your system drive is taken by the operating system, and the remainder is used as both the 'landing stage' for files transferred to the server, and for any/all tombstones that are generated during operation.

Ad Ken says, you really need to understand those documents prior to jumping in. This is a server after all, and needs to be operationally stable.

Colin

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:47 PM