Upgrading Hardware Help RRS feed

• Question

• I installed my OEM on a desktop that had to be replaced.  So I reinstalled the OEM software on a new desktop with a large hard drive.  I followed cek instructions on how to recover my data from my attached USB drives with an additional re install since my first install would not let me use the server reinstall option.  My problem is I can not access my shared folders.  I can see the USB drives in windows explorer but none of my data is available on the server and I can see the data and the folders. HELP!
    Monday, January 21, 2008 7:52 AM

All replies

• All your data is still on the USB disks? You can see all the folders and files when you log into the WHS desktop?

If that's true, you're not too bad off Smile

I'd disconnect the USB disks that have your data intact, and get WHS working before trying to migrate data back - it's safer that way. Once WHS is working correctly, you can attach the USB disks to your WHS, log into the WHS desktop and copy the data back to the appropriate share using Windows Explorer (always copy data to \\server\share, never to D:\ directly).

If you can't access the shares now, what error message are you getting?

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:59 AM
  • I can now access the shares. But the data is scattered across six to eight drives.  I saw a post that stated I should add a drive to the storage pool but i'm afraid it will delete my data.  The folders I see all begin with DE and after I open the folder up I see my old folders.  The data is still on the disks scatter but one the disk.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 9:26 AM
  • Your new server will not simply detect your old drive as containing files that it should share and make those files available. As you connect your drives, you will have to copy your files from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\<sharename>\etc. to your server at \\<servername>\<sharename>\etc. If you find files duplicated on two drives, that's normal; it's how WHS deals with reliability. Once all the files have been copied from the external drive to your server, you can add the drive to the server's storage pool.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 1:00 PM