Small Business with 15 PC's RRS feed

• Question

• Window's Live OneCare is designed to work with only 3 PC's, but my office has about 15.  I would like to monitor and control all the PC's from my own.  Is there a business grade version of WLOC?  Or a way to make the regular version work in this manner for me?  By the way, I have no problem with buying 5 subscriptions (1 for every 3 PC's), but I need a way to centralize control.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:47 AM

Answers

• Your situation is in between OneCare and Forefront, which is the Enterprise security offering. At this point, OneCare subscriptions are limited to 3 computers on a subscription, meaning one LiveID per subscription. In your case, that would be 5 LiveIDs, 5 subscriptions, and no capability for a single Hub for all 15 computers.

This is a fairly common request, though, and I would hope that two things happen in the near future:

1. Allow for the purchase of additional licenses on a single LiveID/Subscription - meaning the ability for you to buy 12 additional "seats" for OneCare on a single subscription

2. Allow for a hub to monitor PCs in other subscriptions, as long as the hub can provide the login credentials for the other subscriptions.

Obviously, the 1st choice would be best for you, but I can see where the 2nd option would work for others.

Neither of these has been announced officially, but the 1st option was hinted at in a beta Chat for 2.0. We're still waiting for this capability.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:31 AM

All replies

• Your situation is in between OneCare and Forefront, which is the Enterprise security offering. At this point, OneCare subscriptions are limited to 3 computers on a subscription, meaning one LiveID per subscription. In your case, that would be 5 LiveIDs, 5 subscriptions, and no capability for a single Hub for all 15 computers.

This is a fairly common request, though, and I would hope that two things happen in the near future:

1. Allow for the purchase of additional licenses on a single LiveID/Subscription - meaning the ability for you to buy 12 additional "seats" for OneCare on a single subscription

2. Allow for a hub to monitor PCs in other subscriptions, as long as the hub can provide the login credentials for the other subscriptions.

Obviously, the 1st choice would be best for you, but I can see where the 2nd option would work for others.

Neither of these has been announced officially, but the 1st option was hinted at in a beta Chat for 2.0. We're still waiting for this capability.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Microsoft needs to seriously solve this problem very soon to keep OneCare marketable and expand this service to more than just 3 computers in a circle because even most families have several desktops, laptops, media centers, etc. Understanding that either of these choices would resolve this problem, and either one of these options would make it workable as long as the Hub PC can be a central backup for all the PCs in the expanded circle.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 3:12 PM