OEM Vista Premium Validation blues RRS feed

• Question

• I have a registered OEM version of vista premium that has worked great for 4 months.

It has also successfully passed validation a few times when downloading upgrades or add-ons.

This morning I received a popup that mentioned aero was disabled and I need to validate vista.  I called tech support and after they verified I had a valid product key and they saw that my copy was registered they were puzzled, it would not pass the validation website because Vista wasn't "registered". The solution was to buy another copy of vista. They also verified that I had a legitimate product key. I then was told OEM versions could not be installed on just any computer.  I tried to explain that an OEM version can only be installed on one computer period, and from then on it was attached to that motherboard.  Business's that build computers can be large like Dell or small like a mom and pop local computer store. The tech support agent was very nice however I am curious if people that bought computers from Dell are being asked to purchase another operating system even though they have a legitimate copy. My copy has been installed and permanently linked with my hardware, it is useless on any other computer, will they trade my disk for a new non OEM version since OEM manufactures shouldn't be using them? Could the intent of the validation process be to create hurt feelings towards pc builders and force there customers to purchase vista directly from Microsoft instead? I have a genuine copy by legitimate resources and verified by the manufacturer as such and yet I am treated like a criminal with vista proclaiming my guilt on the desktop. I hope I will not be charged for the three hours of tech support. That money could literally pay for another copy of vista which was the ultimate conclusion. Does any one have a legal, financially sound solution for this problem?

Validation Limbo
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:16 AM

Answers

• You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:52 PM
  • Thank you Carey!

It worked with out a hitch. I wish the phone tech support could be provided with this solution as well.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:43 PM

All replies

• You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:52 PM
  • Thank you Carey!

It worked with out a hitch. I wish the phone tech support could be provided with this solution as well.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:43 PM