Has anyone here used the WebGuide add-in and what do you think about it? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Has anyone here used the WebGuide add-in and what do you think about it? I'd like to be able to stream remotley from my server, but am concerned the program may make changes to WHS.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:16 AM

All replies

• Has anyone here used the WebGuide add-in and what do you think about it? I'd like to be able to stream remotley from my server, but am concerned the program may make changes to WHS.

Honestly, I would stay away from it (at least on your live production server).  That add-in hasn't been updated in some time (as I recall, the last update for it was pre-PP1).  (The reason it's not updated any more is the author now works for MS.)  I wouldn't feel comfortable installing an add-in that old (considering the numerous WHS updates, which includes 2 Power Packs).  My suggestion is to set up WHS in a VM (including all updates), then install it on that VM and see how well (or if) it works and test it extensively first.  If it works, then install it on your production server.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Thank you. I really appreciate the input and based on what you said will not use it. Do you know of any other products we can use for streaming? I'm sure MS will have it one day, but it'd be great now.

(Maybe I should learn more about add-ins and make a great one, I wouldn't mind working for Miccrosoft in the WIndows Server Group! =) )
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:31 AM
  • I have used it before PP1 and after PP1 upgrade was installed. Now, after a total reinstall with latest updates (as of 5/10/09) installed, it works fine as well. I use it because I'm sharing my photos with several people and they find the thumbnails view a lot easier to find the pics they want to view/download.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:13 PM
  • I always had problems with WebGuide. Once I found http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ I have never missed WebGuide. You can reconfigure the encoders in PS3MediaServer to suit other devices you want to stream to also, not only PS3.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:22 PM