Live Mesh Folder Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have been using Live mesh for a long time and have around 3 GB of data on live mesh.

Now I re-installed the OS on my machine from vista to Win7RC.

Upon installing mesh on the new OS, I see that mesh is creating duplicate folders for everything and is starting to synchronize the content right from the scratch.

So if there is a folder called pictures (which already has all the conent) mesh is creating a folder called pictures-001 and then creating all the copies of the images.

How can I ask mesh to use the same folder as what exists on my machine? I don't want to download 3 GB of data because it will take 1 day to download so much of data.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:38 PM

Answers

• Ah Yes - So i assume you hopefully (as implied above) did a clean install - then copied over the data....and now have duplicate folders...

If that is the case - personally I have found that I just wipe those folders out and let LM just re-sync the machine to your Cloud Data... vs. having to try to compare the data...

If you think about how Mesh is used it should never really have to do what you are asking for it to do - as its there to sync to new devices or keep items updated not survive through a system re-install ... simply remove the new mechine from your mesh - delete all the folder associated - readd the machine and resync...

Or just use the new folders it is making and delete the old as all that data should already have been up to date in your cloud before you wiped the system.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:42 PM

All replies

• Was this an upgrade from Vista or a clean install of W7?
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Ah Yes - So i assume you hopefully (as implied above) did a clean install - then copied over the data....and now have duplicate folders...

If that is the case - personally I have found that I just wipe those folders out and let LM just re-sync the machine to your Cloud Data... vs. having to try to compare the data...

If you think about how Mesh is used it should never really have to do what you are asking for it to do - as its there to sync to new devices or keep items updated not survive through a system re-install ... simply remove the new mechine from your mesh - delete all the folder associated - readd the machine and resync...

Or just use the new folders it is making and delete the old as all that data should already have been up to date in your cloud before you wiped the system.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:42 PM