RC version to retail version RRS feed

• Question

•  

HI Everyone

I have been testing the Home server from CTP to RC version and right now i'm waiting for the release of the actual version. As i was looking at the potential products offered by HP and other retailers, it just stuck me that there may be a chance where i may just get one of these boxes offered and keep the current box as my test bed.

But if i were to choose one of these retail box, i probably have to migrate all the data and settings over. Data in the shared folders are easy but data like PC backups will be a headache. i'm not sure if anyone brought this up. anyone thought of an easy way to solve this scenario?

KS

Singapore

Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:57 PM

Answers

•  Khai Seng wrote:

HI Everyone

I have been testing the Home server from CTP to RC version and right now i'm waiting for the release of the actual version. As i was looking at the potential products offered by HP and other retailers, it just stuck me that there may be a chance where i may just get one of these boxes offered and keep the current box as my test bed.

But if i were to choose one of these retail box, i probably have to migrate all the data and settings over. Data in the shared folders are easy but data like PC backups will be a headache. i'm not sure if anyone brought this up. anyone thought of an easy way to solve this scenario?

KS

Singapore

My suggestion would be to just start with fresh backups on the pre-built server.  After you run your initial one, it won't matter.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Backups are for disaster recovery, and (much as users will insist otherwise Smile ) "I accidentially deleted a file" is user error, not a disaster. A disaster is "My hard drive crashed and I need to replace it and restore my computer.)

So as the other poster said, you should just abandon your old backups.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  

that will be the possible scenario if i don't have a workaround.

prob will have to rely on the network for the file transfer, unless there is a faster way to transfer the files

thanks anyway

KS

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:04 AM

All replies

•  Khai Seng wrote:

HI Everyone

KS

Singapore

My suggestion would be to just start with fresh backups on the pre-built server.  After you run your initial one, it won't matter.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Backups are for disaster recovery, and (much as users will insist otherwise Smile ) "I accidentially deleted a file" is user error, not a disaster. A disaster is "My hard drive crashed and I need to replace it and restore my computer.)

So as the other poster said, you should just abandon your old backups.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  

that will be the possible scenario if i don't have a workaround.

prob will have to rely on the network for the file transfer, unless there is a faster way to transfer the files

thanks anyway

KS

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:04 AM