Pocket PC RRS feed

• General discussion

• Please provide a backup agent for Pocket PC's so that we can use WHS to take backups of Windows Mobile Devices
    Monday, March 5, 2007 7:55 AM

All replies

•  Deepcoveruk wrote:
    Please provide a backup agent for Pocket PC's so that we can use WHS to take backups of Windows Mobile Devices

If you sync to your PC you can use WHS to backup the your PC which should back up the Pocket PC data.

Monday, March 5, 2007 8:11 AM
  • I was thinking more along the lines of something like SPB backup, having to back up the PDA to a computer and then backing up the PC is a bit of a pain!
    Monday, March 5, 2007 10:38 AM
  • yes Pocket PC backup over WLAN sounds interesting!
    Monday, March 5, 2007 4:33 PM
  • A good starting point would being able to see the web admin page in PIE which you cant currently do.

Monday, March 5, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Is it really so much of  pain though? YMMV of course I suppose. However, every night when I get in I pop my iPAQ into it's cradle to charge it and as consequence it syncs with Vista which is subsequently backed up WHS.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Uploading things from the admin page in PIE should be the minimum that we can do!  I would love to backup my memory card and rom to WHS, it takes me a long time to put all my software onto my pocket pc
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:36 PM
  • I would love to see a exchange server style backup system built in to WHS. Not one that backs up your Entire PPC, but maybe your Contacts, Tasks, My Documents, ect.. I know I am wishing for too much though. :o)
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 6:24 PM
  • I second all this... Backup of PDAs and Smartphones would be an excellent selling point and benefit for WHS.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:32 PM
  • Your PDA or smartphone came with synchronization software for exactly that purpose. Why not use it?

Keeping your contacts, etc. on a server instead of the desktop where you're likely to have your charging station/cradle seems to me to add complexity, not reduce it, unless you're looking for "Blackberry lite". In which case, good luck. Smile
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:55 PM
  • Yeah, I can't see how backing up your Pocket PC to your PC and having that backed up is any more difficult than backing up your Pocket PC to your PC.

Mine synchronises fine with Outlook on my desktop (Exchange won't be supported on WHS as has been said many times).

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:11 AM
  •  Deepcoveruk wrote:
    Please provide a backup agent for Pocket PC's so that we can use WHS to take backups of Windows Mobile Devices

This isn't as easy as it sounds. MS doesn't provide a method to perform a bare metal recovery for embedded systems. It is the responsability of the OEM/ODM to figure out how to get the image installed to begin with. (I don't know of any mobile device that supports booting from a CD.)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:45 PM