I am trying to remove a homeserver disk and it has been running for 16 hours now and is not complete RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to remove a disk that the SMART says is going to fail soon.  It says that it should take several hours to complete.  Its been running for 16 hours now and while the progress bar seems to indicate that the removal is doing something there are large periods of time when the bar does not move for hours.

So several questions come to mind.  The drive I am removing is 1TB (there is a new 1TB drive in slot 4 so I should not loose data) WDigital drive.  It was probably 90% full. 

Can I reboot the server or if I do am I risking loss of data?  I know I might loose the backups and I do have a backup of the important data on an external drive.

How long should this process take to complete?

Why are the shares not available while the process is completing.  THe problem is I can live without the data on the homeserver for a while but one of the posts said it took them 6 days to remove the drive.  I can't live without it for that long. 

Had I known this was going to be such a tedious process i probably would have just waited for the drive to fail and taken the consequences.

Thanks for any and all response.

Anthony Rizzolo

Monday, July 26, 2010 12:53 AM

All replies

• I am attempting to remove a disk that the SMART says is going to fail soon.  It says that it should take several hours to complete.  Its been running for 16 hours now and while the progress bar seems to indicate that the removal is doing something there are large periods of time when the bar does not move for hours.

So several questions come to mind.  The drive I am removing is 1TB (there is a new 1TB drive in slot 4 so I should not loose data) WDigital drive.  It was probably 90% full.

Can I reboot the server or if I do am I risking loss of data?

If you didn't have Folder Duplication enabled on all of your shares before that drive started having issues, your data is already at risk.  As for rebooting, I guess you could, but I would advise against it (at least for now).

I know I might loose the backups and I do have a backup of the important data on an external drive.

How long should this process take to complete?

There is no definitive time.  It can take hours depending on how much data is on the drive, the speed of the drive, and the condition of the drive.  When you're dealing with a drive that has issues, it can take longer - perhaps much longer - because it's trying to read data from the bad sectors. 

Why are the shares not available while the process is completing.  

Just a guess on my part, but if the shares are available during the removal process, WHS wouldn't be able to move files that are being used.  

THe problem is I can live without the data on the homeserver for a while but one of the posts said it took them 6 days to remove the drive.  I can't live without it for that long.

Had I known this was going to be such a tedious process i probably would have just waited for the drive to fail and taken the consequences.

Thanks for any and all response.

Anthony Rizzolo

Monday, July 26, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

I do have folder duplication turned on for all but one folder and if I were to loose the content of that folder it would not be a big thing and that folder is already on the backup drive that I did of the system and other files I copy to my system or are backed up on ASUS so I'm pretty sure that I'm covered in the event of a failure on the data.

So I guess my next question is how long do I need to wait before I consider the process to be hung and thus in need of a restart.  I know when it started it claimed that there were 2 files open by a process on the local machine (127.0.0.1). The 2 files were in the Software directory.  I am assuming that it would close any files that it needed to in order to perform the migration.  Is it possible that these files could hang the migration process?

Just looked over at the lights and the purple lights are flashing on all the drives but the one in the drive I am removing is flashing at a different rate and out of sync with the other 3 drive lights.  Is this normal and if not what does it mean?

Thanks, Anthony Rizzolo

Monday, July 26, 2010 6:17 AM
  • ok, light show stopped...now we are back to the same condition as before.

All drive lights are blue and the health indicator is critical again (indicating that the backup service is not running).

Thanks, Anthony Rizzolo

Monday, July 26, 2010 6:30 AM
  • ok, going on 40 hours now...Doesn't seem that there was any progress since last night at 10:00...

I also checked the size of information on the partition that is being removed from in diskmanager and that actually increased this morning...

I guess I'd like to know what the risks are if I power cycle the box that I will be restoring the server from CD and what the further risk that I will need to restore my server from a backup.

When I spoke to HP this morning (around 5:00) they suggested waiting another couple of hours, powering the box down, physically removing the hard dirve being removed and then restart the server...Said it would come up as missing drive and probably some missing files which it would fix and then I could remove the drive again and it should work...Of course I am skeptical that what they are telling me is going to result in no loss of duplcated data.

I can see the data currently on the drive from d:\shares and I am able to load things..

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a shutdown/restart and removing the drive without loosing duplicated data or having to do a server install.

Thank You,

Anthony Rizzolo

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:55 AM
  • ok, going on 40 hours now...Doesn't seem that there was any progress since last night at 10:00...

I also checked the size of information on the partition that is being removed from in diskmanager and that actually increased this morning...

I guess I'd like to know what the risks are if I power cycle the box that I will be restoring the server from CD and what the further risk that I will need to restore my server from a backup.

When I spoke to HP this morning (around 5:00) they suggested waiting another couple of hours, powering the box down, physically removing the hard dirve being removed and then restart the server...Said it would come up as missing drive and probably some missing files which it would fix and then I could remove the drive again and it should work...Of course I am skeptical that what they are telling me is going to result in no loss of duplcated data.

I can see the data currently on the drive from d:\shares and I am able to load things..

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a shutdown/restart and removing the drive without loosing duplicated data or having to do a server install.

Thank You,

Anthony Rizzolo

I don't see how you can possibly lose one bit of data in this situation from any share that has Folder Duplication enabled.  (Yes, you might lose data from any share that did not have Folder Duplication enabled, but you accepted that risk when you decided to not use Folder Duplication in the first place.)
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:36 AM
  • ok, thanks for the response.  I will let it keep going for a little bit longer.  someone at work figured if everthing were perfect it could take a day and a half to move the data from one drive to the other.  besides it will take me a while to copy the data to an external esata drive and perhaps by that point it will have completed.

In any case no matter what I do I will let you all know how it turns out.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:38 AM
  • ok, here is what I eneded up doing...I finally gave up at around 5:30 tonight (~34 hours and no activity since Monday at 10:00PM) and shutdown the box. 

In order to do it I had to basically kill the Homeserver console process...I left the hard drive in the system for now...If I get the urge again (after I calm down) I may attempt the removal again but for now don't need to do that...I also think that next time before I remove it I will reboot the homeserver before I attempt the removal to make sure things are fresher. 

It did do a fairly good job of cleaning the drive up up though, it is only 8% used (~80.7GB)...

I just wanted to thank kariya21 for all the help that was given.  I am going to leave the question as unanswered since there is not really an answer to the issue here...

Thanks,
    Anthony Rizzolo

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:32 AM