Having Problem with Vista Home Premium Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I currently having problems with a pre-installed version of Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. I recent purchased my laptop from Dell around the August time frame. I had gotten a message from the Window Update program regarding installing a new patch and after the patch was installed and Windows Vista restarted, I was unable to logon back into my account. Originally I was given an error code [0xC004F050] and the option of entering my product code to validate my version of Vista. Since I have a pre-installed version, I copied down the serial number from underneath my laptop, typed it in, and was given an error saying my key wasn't valid. Okay...option two. I clicked on the option to validate my version online with WGA. Since I also have Microsoft Office 2007 installed as well, two options came up for me to validate my versions. First I clicked on Windows Vista and but after several attempts, I was unable to even initiate the test. So I figured my the network was busy so I selected the Office 2007 and within seconds the test was complete and verified. Decided to click on Windows again with no lucky. Also downloaded the test instead of using ActiveX but Windows does not seem to give me the ability to install any programs because it says I lack sufficient memory. Maybe I had to restarted Windows in order for the change to be applied and repeat the process. However, when I logged back onto my account, I'm not even given the option to validate over the phone, online, or anything. Now all it is giving me to option to do is hit close which logs me off and brings me back to the log in screen. Here is the message it gives me...

"Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin reinstallation process" with a gray screen in the back and this other message on the bottom right corner "Windows Vista (TM). Build 6000. This copy of Windows is not genuine"

I have tried to reboot the computer and put Vista into Safe Mode and also tried to roll back to an earlier version prior to the update but it does not seem to work. It tells me that I have passed my authencation period. Unfortunately, I'm not currently in the US and don't have access to my Vista CD's that came with my computer. I was hoping after 4 months, my computer wouldn't completely crash on me like this. Is there anything I can do to help rememdy this problem? I have already contacted Dell Customer Support but they were no help. I have already ran their company's tests and found no problems with my hardware. Also, I have not install any new hardware to my computer to include printers recently. The only thing I plug into my USB ports are my thumb drives and portable hard disks. Also, all of my DVD / CD-R programs along with my McAfee are factory direct from Dell and I have not messed with any of their configurations. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

I would suggest opening a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029.

Support may be able to fix the issue, but I want to set your expectations that considering the extent of the issue and the fact that you don't appear to have access to regular mode or safe mode, the resolution to the issue may only be to reinstall Vista using the Windows Restore dvd that came with your computer.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Hi Tipsy,

All large computer manufacturers include Windows Restore media with the computer that are sold with Vista pre-installed. The company may include a CD or DVD with Windows Restore on it or they may include the Windows Restore software on a small partition on the computer's hard drive. For more information, please contact your computer's manufacturer.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Ken,

I would suggest opening a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029.

Support may be able to fix the issue, but I want to set your expectations that considering the extent of the issue and the fact that you don't appear to have access to regular mode or safe mode, the resolution to the issue may only be to reinstall Vista using the Windows Restore dvd that came with your computer.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:15 PM
  • What if your copy of vista was pre-installed by the company you ordered your desktop/laptop from? How would you go about reinstalling it or restoring it to factory settings?
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Hi Tipsy,

All large computer manufacturers include Windows Restore media with the computer that are sold with Vista pre-installed. The company may include a CD or DVD with Windows Restore on it or they may include the Windows Restore software on a small partition on the computer's hard drive. For more information, please contact your computer's manufacturer.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I will go ahead and give them an email.

On the other hand, what kind of preventative measures can I take in order for this not to happen again? It seems like whenever I get new updates, either from Dell or Microsoft, something always happens. I mean I get all the latest information from you guys and I have not done any modifications to my system. What can the consumer do to protect themselves from this?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:08 AM