sharing not working between Vista and XP RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,  first post.  Sorry if this issue has already been addressed or if I'm overlooking the obvious.  I scanned through the threads and didn't see anything exactly like my problem.

I've been running WLOC 1.x for almost a year and have had problems sharing printers from the beginning (before WLOC, I was able to share printers OK).  So, decided to try the beta hoping for a fix.

My setup is (1st "circle"):  2 desktops and 1 laptop, all running XP home, under one LiveID.  The 2 desktops each have a USB printer (Epsons R800 and photo 600, respectively) directly attached and the print sharing is working fine.

2nd "circle": 1 desktop (running XP home) and 1 laptop (running Vista Home Premium), under another LiveID.  The desktop has a USB printer (Epson R200) directly attached.

I cannot get the Vista laptop to connect to and print on the R200 on the XP machine in its circle.  I've tried making the desktop the hub and then the laptop the hub but, either way, it didn't affect the printing problem.  When I run "refresh the printer list" on the Vista laptop, it finds the printer on the XP desktop but says "OneCare can't connect to the remote PC".  However, when I click on "your onecare circle" on the Vista laptop, it shows both the laptop and the desktop with a status of "Good".

BTW, one of the desktops in circle 1 is directly attached to the wireless router and all the other computers in both circles are connected wirelessly to this router.  Also, all 5 computers are in the same network workgroup.  Oh, and the "location" in WLOC on all machines is set to "Home or Work".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, November 9, 2007 1:39 AM

Answers

• Well, the printer sharing in the "all-XP" circle is working again.  I don't know what changed but I'm happy ... for now!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:54 AM

All replies

• Is the Vista PC running the x64 version of Windows or the 32 bit version? If it is x64 (64 bit) you won't be able to share the printer using OneCare's new functionality.

-steve

Friday, November 9, 2007 7:07 PM
  • Sorry to be so slow getting back on this.  I haven't had a lot of time to work on this in the last few days but will try to get back on it as I have time.

I did go through the list of KB articles and I think I had already covered most of the instructions in those articles.  But I'll go back through them again, just to make sure I've touched all the bases.  If I find anything new that addresses my problem between the Vista laptop and the XP desktop (w/printer attached), I'll post my findings.

The Vista machine is NOT running the 64-bit version.

Incidentally, I thought I had a new problem over the weekend because I started having trouble getting to one of the shared printers in the other circle (the one that has all XP machines).  However, it just started working again a few minutes ago - weird!  The one thing that I seem to remember is that I started having this new problem when I assigned one of the desktops as a "hub".  When I did that, WLOC on the other desktop didn't show any PCs in the circle.  Finally, after playing around with that for a while, I decided to try making the second desktop a "hub" as well.   After that, both PCs showed up in the WLOC circle list on both PCs.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:26 AM
  • No need to apologize, Scott. Do keep us posted.

-steve

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:09 PM
  • OK - one problem solved - I'm now able to initiate a print job on the Vista laptop and have it print on the Epson R200 which is directly attached (USB) to the XP desktop.  The problem appeared to be with the missing "guest account" on the Vista laptop.  While troubleshooting this problem earlier, I had enabled the guest account on all my PCs (as suggested elsewhere in this or another beta thread).  However, during all my testing on the Vista laptop, it crashed a couple of times.  I don't think the crashes were the result of my testing and, in fact as I recall, both crashes occurred during boot up after a restart.  When the crashes occurred, apparently Vista returned to a restore point before I had enabled the guest account.  I'm assuming that this is the reason the guest account was turned off on the Vista laptop.

I'm still having the other problem (mentioned above) where one of my desktops in the other circle (all XP) can't get to the printer on the other desktop.  Troubleshooting continues ...
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Thanks for the update.

-steve

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:02 AM
  • Well, the printer sharing in the "all-XP" circle is working again.  I don't know what changed but I'm happy ... for now!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:54 AM
  • I love a happy ending, even when there is a mystery involved.  Here's to hoping that it keeps working!

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:16 PM