Help Please...Lost Connection/Control of HP Media Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have had my HP Media Server working fine for well over a year. In the last week or so I notice a notification that my McAfee Total Protection AntiVirus had not been updated for a few days. I RDP to the server. Firstly, I get a message that system detected FireFly and stopped it from running. It asked me if I wanted to disable it because it may be a threat. I would always so no to this question, but frustrated with the window poping up everytime I RDP to the server, that I decided to answer yes.
    I moved on to the WHS console and tried updating the data files of the antivirus. It would show the progress bar as if it was doing it and toward the end , it would say that I lost the connection (connection being to the McAfee site). I tried twice more with the same results.
    Now more frustrated, I logged into the McAfee site and saw that I had an unused license for fire wall protection, too. Since I was there and was having trouble updating my data files, I decided to re-install the McAfee Total Protection App. (all of it). I proceeded to downlaod it to the HP Media Server. It then began to install. After a few minutes of staring at the progress bar, it went blank and I lost my connect to the HP Media Server. Since then I have tried two reboots and no sucess. It has no been 36 hours since this happened and the WHS client is still gray on all the network computers. RDP does not work anymore. If I ping the server by name or IP, I get nothing back (timeouts). The shared drives still appear in Network Neighberhood, but cannot be accessed.
    I have read in other threads to simply just walk away; that it may be updating and this could take days. I have a total of 6 TB of space and am only using about half at this time. I really need to recover my data. If I cannot regain a connection to my HP Media Server, how can I recover my data? I have no problem losing the server if I can recover the data. I can always buy another HP Media Server if it will recover my data.
    I am not an IT person, but know enough to get by. Please help. There must be solution to this.
    Thanks!
    Friday, August 14, 2009 10:39 PM

All replies

• I have had my HP Media Server working fine for well over a year. In the last week or so I notice a notification that my McAfee Total Protection AntiVirus had not been updated for a few days. I RDP to the server. Firstly, I get a message that system detected FireFly and stopped it from running. It asked me if I wanted to disable it because it may be a threat. I would always so no to this question, but frustrated with the window poping up everytime I RDP to the server, that I decided to answer yes.
    I moved on to the WHS console and tried updating the data files of the antivirus. It would show the progress bar as if it was doing it and toward the end , it would say that I lost the connection (connection being to the McAfee site). I tried twice more with the same results.
    Now more frustrated, I logged into the McAfee site and saw that I had an unused license for fire wall protection, too. Since I was there and was having trouble updating my data files, I decided to re-install the McAfee Total Protection App. (all of it). I proceeded to downlaod it to the HP Media Server. It then began to install. After a few minutes of staring at the progress bar, it went blank and I lost my connect to the HP Media Server. Since then I have tried two reboots and no sucess. It has no been 36 hours since this happened and the WHS client is still gray on all the network computers. RDP does not work anymore. If I ping the server by name or IP, I get nothing back (timeouts). The shared drives still appear in Network Neighberhood, but cannot be accessed.
    I have read in other threads to simply just walk away; that it may be updating and this could take days.

Unless you just installed the beta version of Power Pack 3, your server shouldn't be updating anything.  My guess is your NIC and/or network driver are on the fritz.  I would suggest calling HP and getting some service from them (assuming your server is still under warranty).

I have a total of 6 TB of space and am only using about half at this time. I really need to recover my data. If I cannot regain a connection to my HP Media Server, how can I recover my data?

See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure

I have no problem losing the server if I can recover the data. I can always buy another HP Media Server if it will recover my data.
    I am not an IT person, but know enough to get by. Please help. There must be solution to this.
    Thanks!

Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:38 AM