WHS cannot see 2 of my 4 HDD's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - Just wondering if someone can give me a hint or two on this.

I have a brand new install of WHS, and have just run all Windows Updates.

I have 4 x 1.5TB HDD's installed - two on the "normal" SATA ports and 2 on the "RAID" Sata ports.

The motherboard is an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe.

In the BIOS I have set RAID to off, config to IDE, disabled the Promise Controller, and none of it seems to make any difference.

I have also just updated the BIOS to what I think is the latest - v1009.

In my console, it recognises only two of the HDD's - doesn't see the others at all.  I'm guessing it sees the two plugged into the "normal" SATA ports, and not the other two, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone shed any light on this? 

Forgive me if I've said or done something stupid - I am a n00b when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Cheers.

Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi - Just wondering if someone can give me a hint or two on this.

I have a brand new install of WHS, and have just run all Windows Updates.

I have 4 x 1.5TB HDD's installed - two on the "normal" SATA ports and 2 on the "RAID" Sata ports.

The motherboard is an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe.

In the BIOS I have set RAID to off, config to IDE, disabled the Promise Controller, and none of it seems to make any difference.

I have also just updated the BIOS to what I think is the latest - v1009.

In my console, it recognises only two of the HDD's - doesn't see the others at all.  I'm guessing it sees the two plugged into the "normal" SATA ports, and not the other two, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone shed any light on this? 

Forgive me if I've said or done something stupid - I am a n00b when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Cheers.

First thing I would suggest is to find out which 2 it sees.  Have you tried disconnecting the 2 plugged into the RAID ports, then booting up and see if it works?  Did you try logging into the server desktop to see if you can see all 4 drives in Disk Management?  Do you see all 4 hard drives in the mobo's BIOS?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for you reply, but I sorted this out.

I just downloaded the latest SATA/IDE driver from Asus website, and updated the "RAID Controller" in my device manager...and suddenly it recognised all the drives.

This was the link that helped me....

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090323082118799&board_id=1&model=P4P800-E+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Cheers,

Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:42 AM