Install time unacceptable RRS feed

• Question

• When presented with the WGA installer, especially in XP, it takes FOREVER to install.  Minutes seem like hours to an end user trying to get their job done.  I tell cusotmers simply to cancel it.  Once WU has downloaded it, how can we just permantly stop it from trying to install?  When you fix it so it takes about 5 seconds to run let me know, until then we're telling customers to hide the update as it provides ZERO functionality and they're all on Dell systems with OEM software so they don't need to prove they're using "genuine" software.
    Sincerely, Brian Bergin Terabyte Computers, Inc. Information posted here provided "As-Is". Use at your own discretion.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hello Brian Bergin,

In order for the WGA Notifications Update to "get the message" that you don't want it, you have to let the installation routine run until it presents you the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  One the EULA has been refused, and the only contact the computer has with Windows Update is Automatic Updates, you won't see the WGA Notifications Update again until a new edition is published, which at this point seems to be about on a quarterly basis or longer, and this will be published with the other noncritical updates on the fourth Tuesday of that month.

And you're right, we wouldn't want the installation of the WGA update to cut into the end user's MySpace, eBay, Twitter, Amazon, and FaceBook time.  ;-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hello Brian Bergin,

In order for the WGA Notifications Update to "get the message" that you don't want it, you have to let the installation routine run until it presents you the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  One the EULA has been refused, and the only contact the computer has with Windows Update is Automatic Updates, you won't see the WGA Notifications Update again until a new edition is published, which at this point seems to be about on a quarterly basis or longer, and this will be published with the other noncritical updates on the fourth Tuesday of that month.

And you're right, we wouldn't want the installation of the WGA update to cut into the end user's MySpace, eBay, Twitter, Amazon, and FaceBook time.  ;-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Thanks!  If it were only Facebook and junk like that.  This is happening at a dental practice where they’re really like to be able to see patients vs. waiting for WGA to finish and while I know they don't have the most modern of computers, taking 4-5 mins for WGA to install after allowing it to proceed is just a hassle.  I can almost install Office 2007 SP2 in less time than it takes WGA to install (and we tell customers not to install the OGA tool either).

Sincerely, Brian Bergin Terabyte Computers, Inc. Information posted here provided "As-Is". Use at your own discretion.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:49 PM