Connector software fails with empty dialog box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

When trying to run the WHS Vail Connector software from the /Connect? webpage the installation initially starts but when getting approx 40% through the "Locating your server" process it just crashes, displaying a dialog box with no error: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2514/vailconnectorswerror.png

The server is up and running, all the shares are visible, I can RDP to the server and the web access works as intended. No firewall activated on my client.

Client is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Eng with Swedish regional settings.

I have a WHS 2003 server on the network but this client has no connector software for it installed.

Computerconnector.log:

2010-05-08 11:43
    wmain: Calling Computerconnector::ShowWizard()
    CComputerconnector::ShowWizard: Initializing common controls
    CComputerconnector::ShowWizard: Done initializing common controls
    Displaying the wizard
    CComputerconnector::ConnecttingDlgProc: IDD_CONNECTING Page Initialization
    NetFindHSBSServerInfo found 1 server [WHS02] at [192.168.0.11].
    GlobalData::Initialize (WHS02, 55000, C:\Users\martin\Downloads\computerconnector.exe, 1053)
    ExpandEnvironmentStrings return (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\)
    CComputerconnector::Run: Running Task: Id=1 Description=Downloads the Setup.cab file
    NetworkUtil::DownloadFile (HTTP://WHS02:55000/Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1053, C:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab)
    NetworkUtil::DownloadFile - Create directory [C:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\Temp] if not exist.
    NetworkUtil::_WinInetDownloadFile (HTTP://WHS02:55000/Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1053, C:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab)
    ExtractCabinet: Extract (C:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab, C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\)
    SetRegValue [C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\].
    Deleting [C:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab].
    RunShellExecute: ShellExecute [C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\CSetup.exe] with parameters [(null)]
    CSetup::Run: Waiting upto 30secs for Sync Event to be signaled
    CComputerconnector::Run: WaitForSingleObject RetVal = 0

CSetup.log:

2010-05-08 11:43
    CoCreateInstance CLSID_DOMDocument60 succeeded.
    CServer::GetNodeValue - selectSingleNode
    CServer::GetNodeValue - get_firstChild
    CServer::GetNodeValue - get_nodeValue
    CServer::GetNodeValue - SysAllocString value: WHS02
    CServer::GetNodeValue - SysAllocString value: 192.168.0.11
    CServer::GetNodeValue - SysAllocString value: 255.255.255.0
    CServer::GetNodeValue - SysAllocString value: 34
    CServer::GetNodeValue - SysAllocString value: Administrator
    CServer::GetNodeValue - SysAllocString value: 1053
    wmain: LoadGlobalResources: Failed to Load Medium ProductName Resource: Resource Id=241 Err = 15105
    wmain: Failed to Load the Global Resources
    wmain: Unexcepted error occured - exiting program.
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hi.

When trying to run the WHS Vail Connector software from the /Connect? webpage the installation initially starts but when getting approx 40% through the "Locating your server" process it just crashes, displaying a dialog box with no error: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2514/vailconnectorswerror.png
    [..]

Did you try setting regional settings to English-US?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hi.

[..]

Did you try setting regional settings to English-US?

- Theo.
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

I had exactly the same issue with Vail and Win7 English both set to Czech regional settings. After setting both to English it worked fine. I guess this is a bug.

Hope it helps.

best regard

Jan

Saturday, May 8, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Despite reading about similar problems that had been resolved by changing regional settings I didn't for some reason try that.

It did the trick though.

Thanks.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:49 AM
  • I had the same problem with hungarian regional settings, after changing to english, everything work fine...

Thanks

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:01 PM
  • I had exactly the same issue with Vail and Win7 English both set to Czech regional settings. After setting both to English it worked fine. I guess this is a bug.

No bug; this build of Vail is locked down to specific languages; there are downloads for English, Japanese, and German.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:20 PM
  • What settings do I need to change to English excactly? There are so many options but none I saw so far contains "English US". Is it done in Control Panel or do I need to use the toolbar that sometimes appear in the task bar? A screenshot or a detailed instruction would be nice.
    __________________________ Andreas Balzer Microsoft Student Partners email: andreas.balzer@studentpartners.de
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Andreas,

From the Control Panel, goto "Region and Language" (Vista/win7) or "Regional and Language Options" (XP).

- Theo.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Hi Theo,

I've changed the region to USA on both my W7Ux64 client and the Vail box. When I run computerconnector.exe on the client it will crash the server.

I'll try a fresh install and see whether I can replicate the problem. Can't even transfer the log-file(s) across the network without it crashing. Maybe a driver issue... .

Axel.

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Server crashes...

Yes. Trying a fresh install is also what I would do in this case.
    Try keeping the server as "clean" as possible (only install additional drivers when it is clear that this is necessairy)?
    If you server has recent hardware, I thinks 'most' drivers should be available on the installation DVD.

- Theo.

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:12 PM
  • I installed a connector to a Win7 64-bit without the need of changing the regional settings at all. When I try to connect my netbook which runs Win7 32-bit I always get the error regarding the accuracy of time. The PC is added to the server but the connector is not installed.

I have already tried to change the name, reinstall the OS for the netbook.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:33 AM
  • I managed to do the install when I had this problem by setting the region/language to US(A) and the timezone to PST and rebooting the machine twice. Maybe this can help you 2

"epapas" wrote in message news:7dabc6c4-3a65-45d9-b30f-6d469e787658@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I installed a connector to a Win7 64-bit without the need of changing the regional settings at all. When I try to connect my netbook which runs Win7 32-bit I always get the error regarding the accuracy of time. The PC is added to the server but the connector is not installed.

I have already tried to change the name, reinstall the OS for the netbook.

Any suggestions?

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:50 AM