none
lost dell dell recovery cd RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi, i am the owner of an inspiron 1100 notebook, and i have lost my recovery cd. i am having issues with windows and would like to perform a clean instal but cant becuase i do not have the recovery cd. my question is, if i borrow a oem xp home cd and use that to install, BUT use the product key that i was supplied with from Dell, would this succesfully install? Also, how do i then activate this copy of windows, would i even be able to activate it? It is important because i have software that will only work on a genuine version of windows. Thanks in advance

Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:38 AM

Answers

• Michael1234321,

You can successfully complete a clean installation of XP Home using a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Home using the Product Key on your Certificate of Authenticity.

You will have to do a Telephone Activation which should take about 6-7 minutes.

Dell charges less than $15 to send you a replacement Reinstallation CD.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:17 AM
  • and do i just explain the sistuation over the phone and they will give me the activation code?
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Michael1234321,

You may not even have to speak with a live representative if the automated phone system accepts your installation code.  If the installation code is rejected, be sure to choose the option to speak with a live representative.  Be sure to tell them that you are installing XP on your Dell, but that you had to use a systembuilder/OEM CD because you lost your Dell Reinstallation CD.

Monday, May 28, 2007 5:13 PM
  • Michael,

Contact Dell and request Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs directly from Dell Technical Support.  Contact them @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:52 PM
  • You can use a generic OEM system builder CD to install, as long as it's for the same version of Windows as your COA/license sticker.  When you are asked for the product key, simply type in the product key on your Dell COA.  Depending on when your computer was manufactured, it may or may not activate over the Internet.

Typically, brand-name computers with the purple COA that says "Copyright 2001" will activate over the Internet with no problem--even if you have replaced the hard disk or motherboard.

However if your computer is new enough to have the COA with a green top and blue picture of a keyboard in the background, which says "Copyright 2004", then the product key is most likely disabled for Internet activation.  When you try to activate it over the Internet, it will be denied, and the error given is usually "incorrect product key".  If that occurs, then you hit the button that says "Telephone", call the 800-number, and tell the customer service rep that you had a virus and needed to reformat, and that is why you are re-installing.  They will ask you if you are using the software on more than one computer, and of course the answer to that is "no", since the serial number on your COA/license sticker is only being used on this one machine.

Hope that helps.

Friday, June 1, 2007 1:19 AM
  • thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

Friday, June 1, 2007 2:57 AM

All replies

• Michael1234321,

You can successfully complete a clean installation of XP Home using a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Home using the Product Key on your Certificate of Authenticity.

You will have to do a Telephone Activation which should take about 6-7 minutes.

Dell charges less than $15 to send you a replacement Reinstallation CD.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:17 AM
  • and do i just explain the sistuation over the phone and they will give me the activation code?
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Michael1234321,

You may not even have to speak with a live representative if the automated phone system accepts your installation code.  If the installation code is rejected, be sure to choose the option to speak with a live representative.  Be sure to tell them that you are installing XP on your Dell, but that you had to use a systembuilder/OEM CD because you lost your Dell Reinstallation CD.

Monday, May 28, 2007 5:13 PM
  • Michael,

Contact Dell and request Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs directly from Dell Technical Support.  Contact them @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:52 PM
  • You can use a generic OEM system builder CD to install, as long as it's for the same version of Windows as your COA/license sticker.  When you are asked for the product key, simply type in the product key on your Dell COA.  Depending on when your computer was manufactured, it may or may not activate over the Internet.

Typically, brand-name computers with the purple COA that says "Copyright 2001" will activate over the Internet with no problem--even if you have replaced the hard disk or motherboard.

However if your computer is new enough to have the COA with a green top and blue picture of a keyboard in the background, which says "Copyright 2004", then the product key is most likely disabled for Internet activation.  When you try to activate it over the Internet, it will be denied, and the error given is usually "incorrect product key".  If that occurs, then you hit the button that says "Telephone", call the 800-number, and tell the customer service rep that you had a virus and needed to reformat, and that is why you are re-installing.  They will ask you if you are using the software on more than one computer, and of course the answer to that is "no", since the serial number on your COA/license sticker is only being used on this one machine.

Hope that helps.

Friday, June 1, 2007 1:19 AM
  • thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

Friday, June 1, 2007 2:57 AM
  • Michael 1234321,

You're welcome!

Saturday, June 2, 2007 8:05 PM
  • neet help and i dont now wat to do
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 9:41 PM
  • Kostas loykakos,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Saturday, June 2, 2007 11:16 PM
  • Michael,

Dan's suggestion is great.  In turn I wanted to provide information for Dell.  Contact Dell directly and request Reinstallation Recovery CDs directly from Dell Technical Support.  Their telephone number is 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system. In turn if the machine is still under warrantee you should be eligible for free a replacement copy of the Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs.  Should the machine not be under warrantee there will be a nominal replacement fee.  Dell technical support will identify all associated costs as well as presenting you with options.  Please have all your original purchasing information available should they require any additional information. This will expedite the process for you. 

Thank you
    Stephen Holm

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Step by Step Reinstallation of Windows on a Dell PC

Step 1: Look at the Windows Product Key sticker on your Dell PC.  Write down the version of Windows.

Step 2: Take your Dell Windows Reinstallation CD/DVD and insert it into the cd/dvdrom drive. 

Step 3: Press F12 during bootup.  Choose boot from CD/DVDRom

Step 4: Follow onscreen instructions and reload windows

If you dont have a Reinstallation CD/DVD, you can go to: www.oemsoftwaresource.com or contact dell for a replacement.
    • Proposed as answer by Jamez MBanned Friday, October 23, 2009 7:55 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:11 AM
  • I got my Dell restore CD from http://www.overlapsystems.com and it worked good.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Hello jamezm,

The products supplied at the links you posted are not actual Dell Operating System Reinstallaton Discs.  They are generic boot/utility discs that will not actually install the operating system onto a computer.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:24 PM