Robocopy misses changes that occur when copying RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem when using robocopy with the /MIR /MOT switches.  After some investigation, it appears that if robocopy is in the middle of copying a file when a change occurs in the source directory, that change is not detected until another change has occurred when robocopy is idle.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Any known workarounds?

Here's what I did to re-create the problem.  Placed a large file in the source directory.  Ran the robocopy command with /MIR /MOT:1.  When I see robocopy has started to copy the large file, I created another file in the source directory (dir > secondfile.txt).  I then waited until robocopy finished copying the large file plus the MOT time I specified. Nothing.  Robocopy doesn't pick up the new file.  Then I create a third file and within the /MOT time, both the 2nd and 3rd files are copied.  Note, there is nothing special about using a large file.  It just kept Robocopy busy long enough for me to make a change in the source directory while robocopy is in the middle of copying a file.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:31 PM

All replies

• This is not the best place to seek robocopy support; I would start on Technet.

That said, what you describe is just how robocopy works, I'm afraid. While it's actively running it's not monitoring for changes.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:11 AM
  • The fact that Robocopy misses changes while it is actively performing a copy is not a showstopper.  What is is that it fails to notice any of the changes on its next monitor check and future checks, until/unless additional changes are made when it is not actively performing a copy.

Thank you for your comment.

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:46 PM