none
Sync Toy issues when Windows is reinstalled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

SyncToy runs fine under normal circumstances. The problem arises when I reinstall the system.
    Now Synctoy is backup tool, shouldnt it survive a system format by backing up preferences and settings ?
    I echo my data to a portable hdd for backup but the problem is that if i reinstall windows, all synctoy settings are lost and the sync databases are orphaned in their respective folders. If I reinstall Synctoy, I have to configure it again and do the backup from scratch.

Shouldnt synctoy be self contained, considering its a backup tool and needs to survive a system crash with its settings intact ?

Thanks
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:02 PM

All replies

• Hey,

Sorry for this issue. Unfortunately, SyncToy doesn't support to backup the info of created folder pair now. Since Folder pair information is stored in in your "App Data" folder, it would be gone after a system format.

Thanks,
    Ann Tang
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

So if I understand correctly, if I have backed up my files to an external hard disk and I reinstall windows and SyncToy. I will have configure it all over again and full backups of all the data will be performed again.

Or, is there any way to circumvent this ?

Thanks
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Hi -

Like Ann points out - there is no way around the configuration again. We do not have the ability to backup folder pair configuration. On the other hand - when you create a new folder pair against existing data that had been copied over by SyncToy we should detect that there is no changes.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I just tried coping the files in the c:\Users\AppData\Microsoft\SyncToy from my old install folder to the fresh intall equivalent and the folder pair list was sucessfuly loaded. And I was able to run a backup. Could be enough...
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:35 AM