WGA Stalls during final install process, svchost maxes CPU @100%. Win XP Pro - SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping someone can help me solve this.

Coworkers personal computer, 2007 Dell 1501.  Needs it for work (company will not provide PC - states he does not need one).

Laptop was an old spare that he had sitting in the basement.  Was upgraded to Vista basic.  Unable to locate any of the discs.

I had a XP-Pro disc for my old Dell 1150 laptop that died in '09, and was not worth repairing.

The install went well after I was able to solve the Microsoft Update problem (install IE8, whole 'nother process to get updates working).  After the first round of updates after SP3 was downloaded and installed, WGA kept hanging up at the final stage of install.  Used the Task Manager end process of both WGA process would make it go away, but one of the svchost processes (system?) would still be at 100% until I ended that, then things would be a little weird, and I would have to restart, and cancel the final WGA install window on startup.

I've searched for the last week, and tried dozens of solutions here, and elsewhere, up to and including deleting the program from the registry - where the files were not where they were supposed to be, and a search would not turn them up.  Many of the provided MS links for solutions are now defunct.

Currently the laptop is pretty bare bones.  He just needs Internet access and Adobe reader.

All (230+) MS updates have been installed after SP3 and WGA.  I need to get a final complete clean install and get an image made in case of failure (I don't want to start from scratch again, and I don't trust MS to make the XP updates unavailable after April 2014).

I was able to get the online validation run on firefox, IE8 has been set to allow Active X per guidelines, here is the results;

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    ------------------------------

-----------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 3*4*Z*G*E*g*K*n*B*p*2*Z*s*U= [edited]
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {A74DDCDB-BBE9-404A-9445-2362EB53853F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{A74DDCDB-BBE9-404A-9445-2362EB53853F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-527237240-573735546-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 1501 </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>2.3.0    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060315000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>47E238E70184206C</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1E832:Dell Inc|107AC:Dell Inc|107AC:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

...........end report............

Any current suggestions?  If I could completely delete the WGA and reinstall, I would do it.  This one day project at work has turned into a full week (picking at it in my spare time), plus bringing it home with me to possibly start over from the beginning.

Thank you in advance!

Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:49 AM

Answers

• I did get it (WGA installation) to complete in safe mode, but it came back in normal mode.  I deleted the "task" from the task scheduler and all appears to be well now. 

I started and ran the Windows Media Player and it also asked for a validation of windows, and it completed without incident.

For as old as this machine is, and for what it is going to be used for, I think I am just going to leave it as is, and we'll call this solved.  If I have further issues down the road, then I will try a mind wipe and re-install, or tell my coworker to hit craigslist and buy a newer one.

Thanks everyone!

Monday, January 13, 2014 12:16 AM

All replies

• Saturday, January 11, 2014 5:10 PM
  • or which version and edition of Windows is the COA sticker on this PC valid?

Unless it's for Windows XP Pro, then the installation would be classed as counterfeit.

You need to reinstall using the proper Recovery media for that machine - Dell had their own anti-piracy system in addition to the Windows one, back in 1996, and this could well be what's getting in the way here.

What AV or other security software was installed by the recovery media you used?  what is currently installed?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:19 PM
  • https://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19/nondiagnostichome?~ck=mn&

Thanks, but he is not putting any money into this, and it's long out of warranty.
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:18 PM
  • or which version and edition of Windows is the COA sticker on this PC valid?

Unless it's for Windows XP Pro, then the installation would be classed as counterfeit.

You need to reinstall using the proper Recovery media for that machine - Dell had their own anti-piracy system in addition to the Windows one, back in 1996, and this could well be what's getting in the way here.

What AV or other security software was installed by the recovery media you used?  what is currently installed?

COA/Data tag on bottom of machine is illegible.  According to Dell's support site, based on the service tag #, it was shipped with XP.

Does the WGA from the original post show this install of XP as invalid?

During all of the updates, there was no antivirus installed.  Now that Adobe Flash and Reader are on (after all the updates were complete), it has the McAfee security scan  (included with Adobe Reader download). 

Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:32 PM
  • "shipped with XP.".... Pro, or Home????

McAfee Security Scan is NOT an AV - it's a virus scanner (and not a very good one) - you MUST install a proper AV.

From a quick Google search, it appears as if the Key in use here may be the Default Key for XP Home (or the OEM_SLP Key)- which can never be activated over the internet.

Having said that, the current install appears to be properly activated.

My worry is that the OEM_SLP system was not to my knowledge introduced until after this license was issued - which would mean that whatever the report says, the installation is classed as counterfeit.

With an illegible COA sticker, on a 7-year-pd machine, the chances are that Dell will chuckle wildly if you ask for support - but it's still worth a try.

See if they will supply a set of XP Recovery disks for this machine - if they refuse, you've lost nothing, but if they do so, you may end up with a functional install.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:02 PM
  • I did get it (WGA installation) to complete in safe mode, but it came back in normal mode.  I deleted the "task" from the task scheduler and all appears to be well now. 

I started and ran the Windows Media Player and it also asked for a validation of windows, and it completed without incident.

For as old as this machine is, and for what it is going to be used for, I think I am just going to leave it as is, and we'll call this solved.  If I have further issues down the road, then I will try a mind wipe and re-install, or tell my coworker to hit craigslist and buy a newer one.

Thanks everyone!

Monday, January 13, 2014 12:16 AM