none
Error 404 when using Web Deploy in VS2010 on a Windows Server 2008 R2

Question

• Note: I used the 'File System' publish method instead as a work around.  Would like to figure this out though.

I have a web service application that I've successfully deployed from VS2008 to Windows Server 2003. We've migrated to Windows Server 2008 R2 and I've spent the last three days trying to get this application on the server. I kept getting the message that I need Front Page server extensions installed but I couldn't get that to work. Never mind that I don't need my sites extended to Front Page.

So I upgraded the application to VS2010.

I've spent all of today going through the solutions offered on the forums and it still does not work.

I have Web Deploy 3.5 installed on the server and it is running.

I have Web Services Manager installed and running. And restarted it and Web Deploy and VS2010 several times and no good.

If someone could please help me keep my sanity I would appreciate it.

Here's is the complete text of the error:

Error 1  Web deployment task failed.(Remote agent (URL http://myServer/web/MSDEPLOYAGENTSERVICE) could not be contacted.  Make sure the remote agent service is installed and started on the target computer.)
    The requested resource does not exist, or the requested URL is incorrect.
    Error details:
    Remote agent (URL http://myServer/web/MSDEPLOYAGENTSERVICE) could not be contacted.  Make sure the remote agent service is installed and started on the target computer.
    An unsupported response was received. The response header 'MSDeploy.Response' was '' but 'v1' was expected.
    The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. 0 0  WebService

Application Engineer / Software Developer

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Jack_stl,

Based on your description, I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum for this issue, since this forum is to discuss:

Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

I'll move this case to where is the forum for so that you can get some direction.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:03 AM
  • Might try them over here.

http://forums.asp.net/1020.aspx/1?VS+Web+Deployment+Projects

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:10 PM
  • Thanks Barry.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:18 PM
  • ahh. Much better. Thank you.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:18 PM
  • You're welcome.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:38 PM