Cannot update to PP2 after upgrade from trial version to retail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    this is the deal.
    I downloaded WHS a few weeks ago and have been using it perfectly in my small offica as a storage center and print server. Finally decided to buy the retail version and upgrade.
    The trial version was up to date with PP", but apparently, the retail version I got includes only PP1. I can't connect any of the machines to the server. I have tried running Server Console on each of the clients to no success. Have also tried to re-install the Server Console on each client again and the download gets stuck at a nice 0%.
    If I log onto the sever machine itself I see all the pc's I used to have connected to the server but all greyed out.
    I suspect the connection failure has something to do with the PP versions being different. So I tried to update from the console within the server machine itself, since I cannot connect to it remotely. Update fails and a message appears saying that the update could not be performed at this time, and if the problem persists to reboot the server. I have rebooted mor than once and still no update.
    I Should mention that I can see the server from explorer and explore all the folders in it just fine.

My hardware config is as follows;
    Intel desktop board D945GCLF2
    Intel Atom 330 Cpu
    2G Ram
    WHS with PP1 (installed from retail disc)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:03 PM

Answers

• OK. Seems the updates fixed my problem. Apparently the connector software installed on each client was newer than the software on the seerver and as such not compatible. At least that's my guess..... Thanks anyways for your replies.
    I can connect to the server via console from each of the clients with no problems. However, I recieve a warning on one ot hte clients that my paswords don't match. I'm sure htey are the same passwords on the client end and onthe server. Have tried resetting them but no success. What gives??

G
    • Marked as answer by capetito Friday, November 6, 2009 5:28 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 5:28 PM
  • OK. Seems the updates fixed my problem. Apparently the connector software installed on each client was newer than the software on the seerver and as such not compatible. At least that's my guess..... Thanks anyways for your replies.
    I can connect to the server via console from each of the clients with no problems. However, I recieve a warning on one ot hte clients that my paswords don't match. I'm sure htey are the same passwords on the client end and onthe server. Have tried resetting them but no success. What gives??

G
    See the FAQ post:  How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested for a possible fix.
    • Marked as answer by capetito Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:40 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:01 AM

All replies

• Hi all,
    this is the deal.
    I downloaded WHS a few weeks ago and have been using it perfectly in my small offica as a storage center and print server. Finally decided to buy the retail version and upgrade.
    The trial version was up to date with PP", but apparently, the retail version I got includes only PP1. I can't connect any of the machines to the server. I have tried running Server Console on each of the clients to no success. Have also tried to re-install the Server Console on each client again and the download gets stuck at a nice 0%.
    If I log onto the sever machine itself I see all the pc's I used to have connected to the server but all greyed out.
    I suspect the connection failure has something to do with the PP versions being different. So I tried to update from the console within the server machine itself, since I cannot connect to it remotely. Update fails and a message appears saying that the update could not be performed at this time, and if the problem persists to reboot the server. I have rebooted mor than once and still no update.
    I Should mention that I can see the server from explorer and explore all the folders in it just fine.

My hardware config is as follows;
    Intel desktop board D945GCLF2
    Intel Atom 330 Cpu
    2G Ram
    WHS with PP1 (installed from retail disc)
    Are you able to open any website from the server desktop?  When you open the Console from the server desktop, what are the component numbers (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Friday, November 6, 2009 12:48 AM
  • An "upgrade" is in this case a fresh install.
    Is the server accessible via network at all? If not, did you install drivers for the network card on the new installation? (You can verify this in device manager.)
    Can the server access the Internet at all?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:58 AM
  • OK, so I was able to update through the console on the server desktop this morning. Restarted, and continued updating again. Still cannot connect clients to server.

Yes I can open all sites I have navigated to, no problems there. The component numbers on the desktop are:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

Not sure if this is what you asked for......

Thanks

G
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:43 PM
  • This install was performed according to suggestions I found on the web on how to upgrade from trial to retail. it was a "Server Reinstallation" as stated in the install dialog box. After this new install, all drivers were reinstalled. Yes, the server is accesible via network, from each of the clients, through Explorer, my NEtwork Places, etc., just not able to connect to the console or download the console files through the wizard.
    Yes, the server is able to access the internet just fine.

Thanks,

G
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:46 PM

G
    • Marked as answer by capetito Friday, November 6, 2009 5:28 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 5:28 PM

G
    See the FAQ post:  How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested for a possible fix.
    • Marked as answer by capetito Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:40 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Thanks kariya21,
    That thread helped me out a lot. Exactly what I needed.

G
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:41 PM