Folder Location in Vista & Glass Look RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people,

I succesfully installed Live Mesh on my Vista laptop, eventually after it wouldn't start.
    One minor gripe is it seems to have disabled the glass look in Vista, whcih I happen to like. Is there a fix for this?

My other major problem is the location of the synced folders. I have two folders on my work xp pc that I sync to the Live desktop, when I then tell it to sync to my Vista laptop it places them on my actual desktop, when I try to change the location it no longer syncs, when I tell it to re-sync from that location it then places them back on my actual desktop!

It could be me not doing something properly, but it's a bug bear of mine having things on the desktop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly. :o)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Kelly,

The issue with Aero in Vista (the glass look) is one that has been with us for a while, but should be fixed in our next release.  In the meantime, one solution that has worked for some people is to run the Windows Experience Index again - that should re-enable Aero.

As for the folders appearing on your desktop: That is currently the default behavior for Live Mesh, but you are far from alone in wanting this changed.  Having control over the default location of Live Mesh folders (as well as being able to move and rename folders without sync breaking) is one of our most popular customer requests.  I've added your vote for this feature to our internal list of suggestions (the more voices the better!), and the team is working hard to implement as many of these requests as we can.

I hope that is (at least somewhat) helpful.

Thanks for using Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Kelly,

The issue with Aero in Vista (the glass look) is one that has been with us for a while, but should be fixed in our next release.  In the meantime, one solution that has worked for some people is to run the Windows Experience Index again - that should re-enable Aero.

As for the folders appearing on your desktop: That is currently the default behavior for Live Mesh, but you are far from alone in wanting this changed.  Having control over the default location of Live Mesh folders (as well as being able to move and rename folders without sync breaking) is one of our most popular customer requests.  I've added your vote for this feature to our internal list of suggestions (the more voices the better!), and the team is working hard to implement as many of these requests as we can.

I hope that is (at least somewhat) helpful.

Thanks for using Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:34 PM
  •  

(the more voices the better!)

+1 here for sync not breaking when folders are moved or renamed :). I know it's probably a tough thing to implement, but I think it would be worth it.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm glad it's not just me that was having these issue, meant in the nicest possible way.

I'll just have to suffer the folders on my desktop for a while. :o)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:49 PM
  • CobraA1 said:

(the more voices the better!)

+1 here for sync not breaking when folders are moved or renamed :). I know it's probably a tough thing to implement, but I think it would be worth it.

+1 on everything CobraA1 says.

i cant imagine it being easy to get dont, but for jo blogs in the street, we've got seriously used to moving folders about, and they will struggle to understand it doesnt work! i was certainly caught out in the initial set up.

generally, i'm really excited about the direction for mesh, and look forward to details at pdc.

William D
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 10:30 PM