Windows Live Id / homeserver.com domain issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After almost five years, I've had to reinstall WHS (v1), but now I cannot reconfigure it to use the same homeserver.com domain.

I made a note of the Windows Live Id I'd used at the time, but when I tried to sign in using this, WHS gave me an "Incorrect e-mail address or password" error.  I've been using the same email address for years (highly unlikely that I would have registered with anything else), so I assumed this must be a case of a forgotten password.  I tried to reset the password at http://home.live.com/‎ but the account didn't exist.  (Do they expire?)

I then created a new account using the same email address.  Now, when I try to configure the domain, WHS tells me "The Domain Name is not available".

Two questions:

1. How can I find out the Windows Live Id used to configure my domain originally?

2. If necessary, how can I release the domain for reuse with my 'new' Windows Live Id?

Thanks for your help.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 3:11 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server V1, when you set up your vanity URL, obtains a token from the remote server which it uses thereafter for renewals. It does not, however, log in in for those renewals, it simply passes the token back and forth. As a result, Windows Home Server isn't really "using" the Live ID at all other than for initial registration.

Unfortunately, if a Live ID isn't used in a period of time, Microsoft deletes it. Once that has occurred, anything associated with it is irretrievable should you have to access it via a log in (such as when you set up a new server). This includes services like your vanity URL, and your XBox live account. 

Just creating a new Live ID using the same email address doesn't recreate the original ID, so you really have no way to recover or release your vanity URL. As for Phil's comment, he is incorrect; the Live ID used isn't stored in the Windows Home Server V1 registry.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:39 AM

All replies

• 1. I think with WHS1, you can find it somewhere in the registry - cant remember where - do a search. 2. I think you are out of luck - if you weren't actively using your account it will have expired and there is no way of getting the Domain associated with that account back.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Windows Home Server V1, when you set up your vanity URL, obtains a token from the remote server which it uses thereafter for renewals. It does not, however, log in in for those renewals, it simply passes the token back and forth. As a result, Windows Home Server isn't really "using" the Live ID at all other than for initial registration.

Unfortunately, if a Live ID isn't used in a period of time, Microsoft deletes it. Once that has occurred, anything associated with it is irretrievable should you have to access it via a log in (such as when you set up a new server). This includes services like your vanity URL, and your XBox live account. 

Just creating a new Live ID using the same email address doesn't recreate the original ID, so you really have no way to recover or release your vanity URL. As for Phil's comment, he is incorrect; the Live ID used isn't stored in the Windows Home Server V1 registry.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:39 AM
  • Phil,

Thanks for the reply.   Having read a few other posts here, I feared this was the case. :-(

Regards, Richard

Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the reply.   Having read a few other posts here, I feared this was the case. :-(

Regards, Richard

Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:47 PM