90 day free trial RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to "activate" my 90 day free trial and as I progress through the screens screen 2 comes up that says I need to associate the pc with a subscription. It gives me two options 1. to pay $59.95 the other to activate at token. Since I do not want to enter my cc information yet nor do I have a token I can't activate the software. What am I supposed to do?
    Friday, April 4, 2008 10:11 PM

Answers

• To activate you need to purchase a subscription. Your choices are to provide the payment information or to use the retail key from a boxed copy of OneCare that you purchase in the store or from an online retailer.

The retail key is also known as a PIN or a token.

You may even save money by purchasing the retail copy. Once you purchase a retail copy, do not install from the CD as you already have the latest software installed. Simply use the activate/subscribe link to get to the screen where you can pick to use a token/pin/key.

-steve

Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:16 AM

All replies

• To activate you need to purchase a subscription. Your choices are to provide the payment information or to use the retail key from a boxed copy of OneCare that you purchase in the store or from an online retailer.

The retail key is also known as a PIN or a token.

You may even save money by purchasing the retail copy. Once you purchase a retail copy, do not install from the CD as you already have the latest software installed. Simply use the activate/subscribe link to get to the screen where you can pick to use a token/pin/key.

-steve

Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:16 AM
  • sorry I am at a loss - why would Microsoft advertise and offer a link on the website for a 90 day free trial if I have to purchase it? What happened to 90 free days?

Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:20 AM
  • You can use the free trial for 90 days - no activation required. In fact, if you do decide to purchase a subscription, I suggest *not* activating the subscription until close to the expiration of the trial or when the prompts reminding you to activate start getting annoying - that way you get the benefit of the free period. As soon as you activate, your subscriptions starts and the free trial period is over.

If the trial shows that it has expired, check your PC date and time. If it is incorrect, correct it and reboot.

-steve

Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:31 AM
  •  

I downloaded it and it said I only had 15 days.  I think it is all false advertising.  If I knew it was going to be 15 days I would not have downloaded.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:28 PM
  • If you previously used the trial or install from CD, you will get 15 days until your need to activate. 90 days is only valid for the initial installation of the trial software.

-steve

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:53 AM