WHS restore RRS feed

• Question

• I have saved a copy of my PC using the backup feature of WHS. This PC died and instead of restoring from the backup I figured it was time for a fresh install. I reinstalled everything and then save it using backup.

I used the same computer name on this PC as for my previous build.

While I made some modification to the PC, I damaged something and had to use the Restore feature of WHS. I inserted the CD, the computer started fine and then I was asked to choose which PC I wanted to restore. To my suprise both profile appeared (the one for the initial PC no longer existing and the fresh reinstall) and I had to make a choice. I had to make a choice (trial and error) to see which one was the correct one. I select the correct one at first try.

I had deleted all backup relating to the initail one from WHS and only kept the one from the fresh intall.

Why can I still see the other one in the restore process (and how can I remove it becasue it is confusing).

I'm currently using the trial version of WHS as I 'm in the process of decidding if it is the right product for me.

Thanks for the help.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:18 PM

Answers

• Until you run backup cleanup (available in the Windows Home Server Console under Settings) the backups for the previous incarnation of that PC are still available. Before you run cleanup, if you're satisfied that you don't need the backups from the original incarnation any more, you should delete that original PC, leaving only the new incarnation.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:08 PM