WHS Connecter Cant Connect to the server RRS feed

• Question

• i installed windows home server last night and copied ALOT of data over to it, today i do a few windows updates that it asks me after rebooting my WHS connector cant connect to the server, for a split second a message came up saying something about a server that wont load but i wasnt able to see what it said exactly, i had WHS working all night last night so i know it was working and i can still connect to my shared files just not throuhg the connector 

how to i fix this?

• Moved by Lara JonesModerator Friday, January 23, 2009 3:12 AM moving to software (Moved from Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation to Windows Home Server Software)
    Friday, January 23, 2009 1:49 AM

Answers

• its not a ip related i can go to run and go //192.168.1.100 the WHS ip and i can see the shared files, im sure its a service related issue, i just did a repair install for WHS and its working again, but im sure it'll happen again.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds as though your server has changed it's IP address; you should really either have a fixed IP address on the server, or preferably a reserved address from your router.

To check, on the Client, navigate to the Program Files-Windows Home Server directory, and double click on 'Discovery.exe'. This will search your network for your server and re-establish the connection correctly. If you have more than one Client, you will need to do this on each one.

If this doesn't fix it, let us know.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:27 PM
  • its not a ip related i can go to run and go //192.168.1.100 the WHS ip and i can see the shared files, im sure its a service related issue, i just did a repair install for WHS and its working again, but im sure it'll happen again.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 8:32 PM
  • OK,

If it happens again, have a look through both the server and client logs and see what they indicate, there could well be somethingthere.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Where do i find the logs? i looked for them last night to post but by 10pm i just wanted it fixed.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 10:05 PM
  • The logs on the server you find by logging in locally to your Windows Home Server (user name Administrator with the console password), click Start/Run, type %qlogs% and click OK.
    The client logs can be found in 

Windows XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs"
    Vista: "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs"
    Best use the Details view and sort the logfiles by date with the most current on top.
    You should also check the event log.

Anyway it could still be a normal name resolution issue.
    Can you ping the server by name and by IP address?
    Could you post the output of the command
    ipconfig /all
    on one client and the server?
    What is the result of the command
    nslookup server

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:03 PM