none
Windows Home Server Software and OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• My question also: can I install OneCare on the Home Server? Answer: No, not supported...

I recall from the trial Home Server that the system seemed to have a robust security system, is that enough to leave it in the "wild" on our home networks without additional security software???

Is this what the guru's are telling us. Because I never let the home server and my router go live any longer than necessary. All my computers are up 24X7. What about the home server? I can tell you, on my end the life expectancy of a computer on the internet without a firewall and security is less than 20 minutes before catastrophe.

Please enlighten,

signed unenlightened
    stu1958@msn.com
    DragonSlayer, 30+ yrs.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 3:23 AM

All replies

• Stu1958 said:

My question also: can I install OneCare on the Home Server? Answer: No, not supported...

I recall from the trial Home Server that the system seemed to have a robust security system, is that enough to leave it in the "wild" on our home networks without additional security software???

Is this what the guru's are telling us. Because I never let the home server and my router go live any longer than necessary. All my computers are up 24X7. What about the home server? I can tell you, on my end the life expectancy of a computer on the internet without a firewall and security is less than 20 minutes before catastrophe.

Please enlighten,

signed unenlightened
    stu1958@msn.com

DragonSlayer, 30+ yrs.

WHS already has a firewall (besides, your router is a better firewall than any software anyway).  As for an A/V, it's up to you.  I have avast! for WHS on my server.  As for my server, it's been available through the internet for 15 months (behind a router) and it hasn't been hacked yet.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 4:36 AM