Some Quick Questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

Looking at this for a Small office backup solution with a limited budget.  We have about 15 employees in a remote office that need a backup solution.

1.  How many licenses are included on a retail version of WHS if purchasing the HP WHS solution.  Is it easy to purchase and add addtional licenses?

2.  Would anyone recommend a alternative or better solution for a small office?  There are a couple users who are mostly remote so I was thinking WHS might be the best solution.

3.  The retail HP machine includes 1 TB of data and only 512 MB of ram.  Do you think this is enough RAM or should I upgrade the box to 1 GB or even 2 GB?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:18 PM

Answers

• I will try and answer some of you questions:

1 - 10 licences - and no, there are no options to buy additional licences. You would have to buy an additional WHS box and have 2 running.

2 - really all depends on what it is you actually want to do....

3 - you can upgrade the box but according to HP you invalidate your warranty doing so. That said, its easy to do and certainly makes a real difference performance wise.

Andrew

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:21 PM

All replies

• I will try and answer some of you questions:

1 - 10 licences - and no, there are no options to buy additional licences. You would have to buy an additional WHS box and have 2 running.

2 - really all depends on what it is you actually want to do....

3 - you can upgrade the box but according to HP you invalidate your warranty doing so. That said, its easy to do and certainly makes a real difference performance wise.

Andrew

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Thanks Andrew for such a quick response. 

Interesting you can't add additional licenses.  Is this for performance reasons or something? 

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:25 PM
  • You are welcome.

My guess would be that as a product aimed at the home market how many home users would need more than 10 licences?

Andrew

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:27 PM
  •  

Good point and being that the product name is Windows HOME sever, I should have thought of that. 

Thanks again.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:29 PM
  • :-)

having said that its a good product to also use for a very small business

Andrew

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Agreed.  I just went out and got one to test with a small group and I am setting it up now.  One thing so far is the setup is a breeze. 

Thanks again for the great and quick responses.

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Anytime - if you think of anymore questions just ask :-)

Andrew

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:23 PM
  • I have to throw in my concern with using this in any way that resembles a true SERVER.  Just read all of the info regarding file corruption and the fact that you should ONLY be using this as a backup device.  I built a really nice cusom server that is now choked by the inadequacies of WHS.  At first I was a huge proponent for it, but after finding way too late that you simply cannot use it as a server, I cannot in good conscience endorse this as a SERVER.  It is merely an expensive backup device in my opinion.  Although I don't have the expertise or cajones (yet) to install Win SBS or Linux Samba, I may end up going that route so I can use my hardware as it was designed...as a SERVER!!!  I began using this to share MS Access db files (front-end / back-end scenario) and I was pleasantly rewarded with DAILY corruption of those back-end databases...forcing me to rebuild them everyday, thinking that I had done something amiss.  Sorry, it wasn't me at all.  As soon as I moved these to a shared directory on one of the PCs, all corruption immediately stopped.  However, this is merely a band-aid to a much larger issue.  I do NOT want to store these on one of the PCs, since I have this kick-@$$ server sitting right along-side just waiting to be used as a SERVER.  FWIW...

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Thank you for your input.  We are just using this as a backup device nothing more.  This would be a place where employees could backup their data off their laptops. 

Corrupt files does scare me a bit though. 

I will continue to test with a small group to see how things go.

Monday, February 18, 2008 11:06 PM