Dead slow file transfer to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Just built my first WHS. I was so excited when the install finished. Ran all the updates and began file uploads. Needless to say, I am regretting going this route.

Pentium D, 2.8Ghz

Single 2TB HD

ECS P4M800PRO-M Mobo

2GB RAM

100Mb LAN

File transfer to the WHS (from a WinXP SP3 machine) tops out at 4MB/sec. I came back after one day and the speeds had dropped down to 1.3MB/sec!!!! After about 20 hours, only 197GB had transferred. My WIN XP desktop drive are doing small access sounds, but the WHS drive is cranking non-stop.

W T F !??!?!?!?!?       I have tried the various options of upgrading the NIC driver, enabling flow control, jumbo frames not supported on the WHS mobo NIC, Using a gigabit switch, bridging NICs on my desktop and running one cable directly to the WHS...... NOTHING HELPS!

Hopefully, someone has a solution. I hope I was not an idiot when I chose WHS over a drobo.

• Edited by Devil 2 U Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:00 AM info
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 10:57 AM

All replies

• Just built my first WHS. I was so excited when the install finished. Ran all the updates and began file uploads. Needless to say, I am regretting going this route.

Pentium D, 2.8Ghz

Single 2TB HD

ECS P4M800PRO-M Mobo

2GB RAM

100Mb LAN

File transfer to the WHS (from a WinXP SP3 machine) tops out at 4MB/sec. I came back after one day and the speeds had dropped down to 1.3MB/sec!!!! After about 20 hours, only 197GB had transferred. My WIN XP desktop drive are doing small access sounds, but the WHS drive is cranking non-stop.

W T F !??!?!?!?!?       I have tried the various options of upgrading the NIC driver, enabling flow control, jumbo frames not supported on the WHS mobo NIC, Using a gigabit switch, bridging NICs on my desktop and running one cable directly to the WHS...... NOTHING HELPS!

Hopefully, someone has a solution. I hope I was not an idiot when I chose WHS over a drobo.

Did you try running chkdsk /r on the hard drive?  Is it one of the new Advanced Format (4KB sector) drives?
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:31 PM
  • chkdsk /r came back clean on the C drive. The HD is an Hitachi Deskstar 2TB that I purchased on black friday in 2009. It was brand new and had never been used until now.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:09 PM
  • chkdsk /r came back clean on the C drive. The HD is an Hitachi Deskstar 2TB that I purchased on black friday in 2009. It was brand new and had never been used until now.
    Did you run chkdsk /r on the D partition (where the data is actually stored on a single drive install)?  Is the client you're copying from connected via wireless?
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Client is connected via a gigabit switch (WHS is 100Mb NIC).

Check Disk did encounter some errors during scan:

"Adding 219940539 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

1932531142 KB in total.

879762156 KB in bad sectors."

The drive currently shows 1.25TB as used, which is impossible, as I was only attempting to xfer 704GB and never even got all the way. There is only 433GB even stored in the shared folders.

I attempted to upgrade my NIC drivers, but the system blue screened on me and now NIC has disappeared from even the Device Manager.

WHS console will not even start unless I "skip" some options at launch.

Should I just suck it up and reinstall from scratch? Perhaps I should test that HD in my desktop, as the bad sectors results look awfully fishy.

Thanks for the help.

• Edited by Devil 2 U Monday, July 12, 2010 8:38 AM info
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Have you tried a different NIC in the WHS?? A 10/100/1000 NIC might make a real difference. Even though you have a gig switch, the limiting factor will be the 100Mb Nic in the server. It's not going to be an instant copy, so if that's what you're looking for, you will be disappointed.

Also, you want to be sure the server is running PP3.

Cruise

Monday, July 12, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Check Disk did encounter some errors during scan:
    1932531142 KB in total.

To me this says you drive is failing (or maybe faulty controller/cabling/drivers?).
    This would also explain problems with file access and the unexplained high disk usage (bad clusters)

To analyse this, run drive diagnostics tooling and/or double check you hardware/drive configuration?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Check Disk did encounter some errors during scan:
    1932531142 KB in total.

To me this says you drive is failing (or maybe faulty controller/cabling/drivers?).
    This would also explain problems with file access and the unexplained high disk usage (bad clusters)

To analyse this, run drive diagnostics tooling and/or double check you hardware/drive configuration?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Good point Theo. I think this Hitachi DeathStar may be a DOA. I will test it to confirm. I may just order another 2TB and perform a fresh install.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Tested the HD with Ultimate Boot CD (Hitachi test tool) and it the results came back just fine.

Performed a complete full re-install on the WHS, wiping all data. Slapped a DLINK DGE-530T Gigabit NIC into one of the PCI slots.

Under Power Pack 1, transfer speed to the WHS are now running up to 5MB (40Mb) per sec. Still seems slow, IMO. I will updated to PP3 and report back.

The problem I am having seems similar to the one in this thread:

[url]http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/051271a6-838b-44cf-8e35-dca9e18ec444[/url]

• Edited by Devil 2 U Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:13 AM edit
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Run a chkdsk /x /r on the d drive again. If you didn't use AHCI mode and the bad sectors pop up again there's a small chance you have a problem I expierenced . See my thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/9d605f70-9693-4b17-8ab9-d44a39dab72b.

Also, check if your drive went into PIO mode.

Monday, July 19, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Ran chkdsk on the D drive again....

1932531142 KB in total disk space.

Checked IDE ATA/ATAPI controller properties of each IDE channel (in device manager):

Current Transfer Mode is listed as Ultra DMA Mode 6. The other IDE port is not in use, so that just lists Not Applicable (Transfer Mode: DMA if available).

Next, I moved the HD onto the 4 port SATA controller that I had purchased as part of my WHS build (Syba SATA II NCQ Host Controller Card). No change in speed at all.

:-(

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:32 AM
  • Seems to me WHS (or windows server 2003) has a problem with 2TB disks in ide mode. It happened to me. A reinstall of the WHS with adding the AHCI/Raid drivers with the f6 method solved my problems.

Maybe you could give it a try. But this assumes your disk is still 100% healty.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Seems to me WHS (or windows server 2003) has a problem with 2TB disks in ide mode. It happened to me. A reinstall of the WHS with adding the AHCI/Raid drivers with the f6 method solved my problems.

Maybe you could give it a try. But this assumes your disk is still 100% healty.

2TB in IDE mode...?   Sorry, I am a bit confused by what you said. The HD in the WHS is SATA. There just happens to be a DVD drive connected to an IDE channel for install purposes.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:58 PM
  • The BIOS configuration determines if your SATA disk/controller operates in IDE, AHCI and/or RAID mode depending on your motherboard. Usually the IDE mode is default. Look in your BIOS for a "onboard sata/ide controller" option. Usually to get the AHCI and/or RAID mode to work you need to install additional drivers during the install of the operating system. Hence the use of the "f6-method" for windows which means you need to hit the f6 key in one of the first screens of the windos install.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:30 AM
  • I have not worked on the WHS build since July, :-(, but I came across some info that BartS might of been referring to earlier.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/01/31/forum-focus-western-digital-advanced-format-drives-and-windows-home-server/

"After being informed that EARS drives would work fine on my system, I gave a single un-jumpered EARS pool drive a go. The performance was *phenomenally* bad. Transfers would start out fine, but eventually bottom out at 4Mb/sec - this is on a 1Gbit network. "

This guy seemed to be having the EXACT same problem that I was. Do all 2TB drives suffer this same fate? What size should the primary HD be (as large as possible, of course)? What about the pool drives?

I allready put the 2TB Hitachi to use in my WinXP box with no problems. So, I need to buy a new primary drive for my WHS build. Any advice on what to get would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Edited by Devil 2 U Friday, September 10, 2010 5:25 AM spelling
    Friday, September 10, 2010 5:24 AM
  • An Advanced Format drive shouldn't be used as the system drive in a Windows Home Server computer. As far as i know, Western Digital is the only manufacturer that's shipping AF drives with the 4k sectors exposed (most drives of recent manufacture have 4k sectors internally), so any other manufacturer should be okay for the moment. That's likely to charnge, probably soon...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:32 PM
  • Sorry to drag this thread back from the grave...However, I was never able to resolve this issue and get WHS working   :/

As BarS. had suggested, I tired repeatedly to install additional drivers via the F6 method. However, this never worked. I even tried multiple keyboards. At this point, I am going to free up a 1TB Western Digital Green drive (non-EARS version) and try a WHS install on that, just to rule out any problems that the 2TB Hitachi drives might of presented.

As usual, any tips or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Saturday, April 2, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Devil

ken is a pretty smart cookie and II remember long ago he posted an reply about IDE or SATA drives slipping into some sort of slower mode I want to say it was something like PI4 of something like that.    Anyway the fix was registry edit.  if you do a search on my name you may find Ken's article to this issue.   It did fix my problem

WHS_retail version
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:26 PM