CTP2 and VS.NET 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have VS 2008 on my machine. I have not installed CTP2 yet. Also, I have never worked with sync framework before.

Inspection of my machine showed following facts (after VS 2008 install only):

The folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Synchronization Services\ADO.NET\v1.0 has following files:

1) Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.dll (111,984 bytes, Date: 08/14/2007)

2) Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server.dll (99,696 bytes, Date: 08/14/2007)

3) Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCE.dll (19,831 bytes, Date: 10/02/2007)

GAC shows following:

1) Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.dll

2) Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server.dll

3) Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCE.dll

I confirmed that the number of bytes on these 2 sets of dlls is same.

The CTP2 download page at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c88ba2d1-cef3-4149-b301-9b056e7fb1e6&DisplayLang=en

shows following information:

"For CTP2, you must uninstall all previous versions of the Sync Framework and V2 Sync Services for ADO.NET prior to installing this CTP."

Since I have not worked with this framework before, the language about "Sync Framework and Sync Services" confused me.

Are there more dlls than I listed above? What set of dlls constitute Sync Framework and what set constitute Sync Services for ADO.NET? This sync article is not much of help either from dll breakdown point of view: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sync/bb821992.aspx#data

Do I need to get rid of the above dlls on my machine prior to CTP2 install? If so, how (as VS install does not offer a way to remove the above dlls)?

Thanks

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 8:26 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, March 10, 2008 6:46 AM

All replies

• The dll listed above are part of vs2008 for client/server sync(ce to server).  If you never installed CTP1 or CTP1Refresh you dont have to worry just go head and download CTP2.  Just to make sure go to Add/Remove section and verify anything that has Syncronization followed by CTP or CTP1 if you do see then uninstall them.

Monday, March 10, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Can you comment on what dlls constitute what portions of sync framework and providers etc.?

Thanks.
    Raghu/..

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Sync services for ADO.NET released v1 with VS 2008. Sync services ADO.NET v2 which is now in CTP2 ships with Microsoft sync framework.  Sync Services ADo.NET v1 and v2 side by side in different folders.  So NO you dont have to remove these files. 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:47 AM
  • Sync services ADO.net v1 comprises of

Microsoft.synchronization.data.dll 1.0

microsoft.synchronization.data.server.dll 1.0

microsoft.synchronization.data.sqlserverce.dll

Sync services ADO.NET v2 comprises of

Microsoft.synchronization.data.dll 2.0

microsoft.synchronization.data.server.dll 2.0

microsoft.synchronization.data.sqlserverce.dll

microsoft.synchronization.data.peer.dll

Syncframework in addition to sync services ADO.NET v2 also has microsoft.synchronization.dll

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:51 AM